TypeSblood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: TypeSblood

The engine in my 1948 Studebaker Commander runs perfectly and smoothly until it warms up. After it warms up you can hear puffs and poofs coming from the end of the exhaust pipe just like it isn't hitting on a cylinder or two. This just started. To try to repair it, I put in new plugs, rotor, plug wires, and reset the timing. The carburetor was just rebuilt. The distributor shaft is a little sloppy.

Joe 218-865-6364

Is the choke opening fully when you push in the knob.

I'c check the valve adjustement ( might be too tight).
    Then I'd adjust the idle mixture

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
      Is the choke opening fully when you push in the knob.

I'd check the valve adjustment ( might be too tight).
      Then I'd adjust the idle mixture
      I agree with valve adjustment being a suspect, but also the sloppy dizzy shaft..and poor timing, and poor carb mixture.

Do you have a vacuum gauge? Simple, and surprisingly good for diagnosis. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Thanks for the good advice, Dan. Believe it or not the 1948 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser has an automatic choke. It seems to be working okay. I'll readjust the valves. Joe

Comment

Thanks for your help, Ron. I'll adjust the valves first. If that doesn't work I'll have to get a rebuilt distributer. Joe

Comment

Does the 1948 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser also have a heat riser butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold? If so, is it fully opening when warm?

Reason for asking, a local Stude guy was ready to sell his car because he'd replaced everything in the fuel and ignition system and still couldn't get it to run right when warm. I found the head riser stuck closed.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
              The 1948 Studebaker Commander does have a heat riser butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold. The heat riser in my manifold opens and closes easily when I turn the valve shaft from outside the manifold. I assume that it works correctly when the motor is running, but I'll look anyway. Thanks for the good advice.
              Joe

Comment

Working...
              X