No announcement yet.

Transmission value query?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Transmission value query?

Have original 3 speed trans removed from my 63 Avanti. Already upgraded with 3 sp OD. What is approx value of original, or should I just keep it for some day if I sell my car. Just asking opinion since only in hobby 2 yrs.

Originally posted by Jaybot View Post
    Have original 3 speed trans removed from my 63 Avanti. Already upgraded with 3 sp OD. What is approx value of original, or should I just keep it for some day if I sell my car. Just asking opinion since only in hobby 2 yrs.
    I purchased a rebuildable powershift for $250 and have another $600 to rebuild it, That transmission is now a spare for when I blow another powershift in one of my two cars.

I bought another rebuilt powershift at about the same time for $850 and had it taken apart for another $300 to make sure it was rebuilt (and it was).

What is yours worth? Somewhere between $250 and ??? I personally would not install a used transmission in to one of my cars. It costs a ton when a used transmission blows up and puts copper throughout the transmission and cooling lines. Don't ask how I know.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Allen, could it be Jaybot has a standard T86 3-speed?

In any case, thanks for sharing the values on Powershifts.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

assuming the 3sp is good and operable: they are plentiful-so don't worry about future value....Honestly, I would like to see an Avanti w/ 3sp non-OD...just for history......Aski $200.

Comment

The marketing plan in Detroit and South Bend in those days was to offer a cheap base model price to get the customer in the door, but make it such a POS to drive, he'd buy up. I'm surprised the base Avanti didn't have the Champion coupled to that 3-speed. I drove one 3-speed Avanti many years ago, and it literally ruined the car for me. The 4-speed made it a completely different car. I've put many miles on other overdrive Studes and think it the best all-around trans they ever offered. Again, the more relaxed cruising RPM of the overdrive makes the Avanti a completely different car than the 4-speed and other than on the drag strip, just as quick.

The worst base model ever was the '65 Mustang 3-speed, 6-cyl, 13" tires, drum brakes - literally a '60 Falcon in a polyester leisure suit.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I have had a 65-66 chevybaker T86 OD 3 speed trans for sale for a LONG time. It works good and only want $100. So I would say that your 3 speed is probably worth no more. Heck just keep it. Eventually you or someone may need it.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
            X