Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONVERTING 59 Silver Hawk Trim to Older Models [PICS]

Hi Guys,

I have a '59 silver hawk that i am currently restoring. I want to do a two tone paint job but the way the side molding are on the 59 model- they split at the door and do not allow you do a complete two tone look. See attachments.

aside from the molding and cap on the fender flares, is there anything else required to achieve this look? Are the shape of the flares the same?

Also, does anyone have older moldings they would be interested in swapping for?

Thanks,
    Shaun
    Attached Files

Silver Hawk Molding

I have a 59 Silver Hawk chrome moldings 8 iunches apart and about 70 inches long. The lower molding is stock Studebaker. The top molding is slightly thinner and was obtained from a Ford dealer. It came with adhesive backing. It has been on about 8 years and has not come loose thru many washings. Not sure what Ford used it but if you describe it to their parts guy he may be able to find it. Its probably at least 25 years old or more. I painted the area between the modings a maroon color to match the car dash and side window molding color around the turned aluminum part. I also painted the two small grill inserts where the parking lights are mounted the maroon color. The white car now looks great I think.
    Al Duble, Gilbert, AZ
    Grand Canyon Chapter SDC

Comment

[QUOTE=agd931;533938]I have a 59 Silver Hawk chrome moldings 8 iunches apart and about 70 inches long. The lower molding is stock Studebaker. The top molding is slightly thinner and was obtained from a Ford dealer. It came with adhesive backing. It has been on about 8 years and has not come loose thru many washings. Not sure what Ford used it but if you describe it to their parts guy he may be able to find it. Its probably at least 25 years old or more. I painted the area between the modings a maroon color to match the car dash and side window molding color around the turned aluminum part. I also painted the two small grill inserts where the parking lights are mounted the maroon color. The white car now looks great I think. (ten characters short ???.
      Al Duble, Gilbert, AZ
      Grand Canyon Chapter SDC

Comment

The pre-59 moldings are also of a totally different stamping, so your front fender moldings wouldn't match up to a 56-58 door piece.

ALSO, the 57-58 Silver Hawk tailfin is different from the one on your '59. If you have the car apart for restoration, you probably already know that the fins bolt on, and you should be able to purchase a pair.

I could probably hook you up with a complete set of 57-58 Silver Hawk side trim. (Like the red/white car in your picture). I like your idea, I like the trim on the 57-58 Silver Hawks much better than the '59s.

The '61-only Hawk narrow fin stainless looks good also, and I think I have a few pairs of those moldings too.
        Last edited by mbstude; 03-14-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
          The pre-59 moldings are also of a totally different stamping, so your front fender moldings wouldn't match up to a 56-58 door piece.

ALSO, the 57-58 Silver Hawk tailfin is different from the one on your '59. If you have the car apart for restoration, you probably already know that the fins bolt on, and you should be able to purchase a pair.

I could probably hook you up with a complete set of 57-58 Silver Hawk side trim. (Like the red/white car in your picture). I like your idea, I like the trim on the 57-58 Silver Hawks much better than the '59s.

The '61-only Hawk narrow fin stainless looks good also, and I think I have a few pairs of those moldings too.

yea, i like the narrow moldings as well. do they bolt right up to a 59 model? Seems that the trim would need to tuck under the tail light cap and molding at the beginning of the trim? Not sure if this would require modification.

How much for a set?

SHAUN

Comment

Originally posted by agd931 View Post
            I have a 59 Silver Hawk chrome moldings 8 iunches apart and about 70 inches long. The lower molding is stock Studebaker. The top molding is slightly thinner and was obtained from a Ford dealer. It came with adhesive backing. It has been on about 8 years and has not come loose thru many washings. Not sure what Ford used it but if you describe it to their parts guy he may be able to find it. Its probably at least 25 years old or more. I painted the area between the modings a maroon color to match the car dash and side window molding color around the turned aluminum part. I also painted the two small grill inserts where the parking lights are mounted the maroon color. The white car now looks great I think.
            Al Duble, Gilbert, AZ
            Grand Canyon Chapter SDC

Do you have any pics i could see?

SHAUN

Comment

Originally posted by black9fourfour View Post
              yea, i like the narrow moldings as well. do they bolt right up to a 59 model? Seems that the trim would need to tuck under the tail light cap and molding at the beginning of the trim? Not sure if this would require modification.

How much for a set?

SHAUN
              I'll try to look and see what I have next week as I'm out of town for the next few days. My email is mbstude@gmail.com

My granddad has a '57 Silver Hawk and I'd be more than happy to get close up photos of how the stainless fits the car.

I'm not sure if the earlier trim will fit the trim holes in your '59. Worst case scenario is you have to weld up the original holes and drill new ones.

Comment

Working...
              X