Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

GT Hawk Spare Tire Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk Spare Tire Jack

Just noticed that the metal square base for the tire jack in the trunk is missing. If anyone has a spare one for my 63 GT Hawk, let me know.

Thx,
    Jerry

Jerry; in order to help, we would need to know if your jack (shaft) is square, "T", "Y" or modified box (angled square). There were many brands and styles used![:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here is a pic of the stem from the Jack.
      Look like a Y to me.

Comment

Well folks. I guess I'll have to head to a local car junkyard and hunt down a metal base. Seems there are none available from the SDC gang. Thanks anyway.[8D]
        Jerry

PS - It finally started raining down here in Fla. and seems to putting out most of the fires. The entire state was under attack last week and most major highwys were undriveable due to smoke.

Comment

I had the same problem on my 63GT. It had no jack in the car when I bought it a year ago. Bigger problem is that the jack base is used to secure the spare tire in the trunk.I dialed in Ebay, jacks, studebaker and found one--lot of surface rust but the right shape base.
          I think it was from a 1960 but worked out fine. Junkyard may be a source but try to get one from a Studebaker so it will solve the tie down problem

1950 Champion Starlight
          1963 Hawk GT
          Santa Barbara
          CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
          Santa Barbara
          CA

Comment

Some vendors still have these in stock. Considering the cost of gas, it may be cheaper to order an NOS piece.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

starlight; I hope you do not have Disc Brakes on that '63 GT! If you ever have to use the spare, you got a problem! [:0]
              That '51-'57 5 in. wide Wheel will be the wrong offset for your car (no biggie) BUT with Discs it will NOT turn! [:0] [xx(][xx(]

quote:Originally posted by starlightchamp

I had the same problem on my 63GT. I dialed in Ebay, jacks, studebaker and found one--lot of surface rust but the right shape base.
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Studerich,
                My Goodness!! That's the rim that came in the trunk of the car. I did put a newer 205/75 R15 tire on it.
                I was aware that the disk brake cars had a "more dished" wheel but assume this spare was one of them.
                Guess I'd better put it on and try it before I ever need same. How did you recognise the rim was a 5" wide wheel?
                It took the 205/75 R15 tire without a problem.
                ...Dick
                The 1950 Champion Starlight
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

Try Tom Karkawitz (sp) in So. Bend, he usually has them on his bus.

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by starlightchamp
                    How did you recognise the rim was a 5" wide wheel?
                    It took the 205/75 R15 tire without a problem.
                    The slits in the rim for the hub cap clips are a dead give away that it is an early wheel.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                    X