No announcement yet.

Clevite main bearing number question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Clevite main bearing number question?

I used the search function in all the different combos that I could think of for numbers. No luck.
    Does some have the old Clevite 77 main bearing number for a V/8. Its for a 63 289 with a standard crank if you need more info.
    Thanks, Gordon

That number is probably NLA because Clevite figures most cranks are worn after 40 years. They will have .010 .010 rods and mains, going up to .020 and .030 ......... I have seen .020 .030 etc for Stude V8 and big 6 . What you need is NOS bearings, kind of a hard find, but MOST cranks are beyond that number. SOmetimes they come cheap.....

Comment

Gordon, I sent you a pm.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

If you would take Federal-Mogul instead, you could get them here:

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...roduct=engine6

Comment

Thanks everyone, I came across some Clevite rod bearings and thought I might find the mains too. I might end up needing .010. The last rebuild still used std bearings. Just testing the water for availability. I can't find the Clevite numbers for the mains that I had written down years ago.

Gordon

Comment

Gordon,

The Clevite main bearing number is MS-200P. However, the 1999 catalog read .010" only (No STD.). Thus, any STD bearings would be very old stock.

As you know, Clevite discontinued production of any Stude V8 bearings some time back.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

The studebakerparts.com link has std sized 51-64 V8 american made bearings for $140. The photo shows them sitting on Sealed Power cartons. Once upon a time SP used Clevite bearings, and Federal Mogul was the "other" bearing brand. But now Clevite is part of Mahle, and SP is part of Federal Mogul, so what comes in the box might be a surprise. I'd consider FM, SP, or Clevite high quality parts, but would still measure rod and block bores 9 different ways, and check all 13 assembled bearing clearances with plastigage or something similar.

The P in MS-200P signified Clevite 77 material I believe. M signified microbabbit or some less " stronger " but more embeddable material. All plenty good enough for any street or even HP engine.

Comment

The studebakerparts.com link has std sized 51-64 V8 american made bearings for $140
                If they are truly made in USA, vendors would be doing themselves a favor by listing the manufacturers and brands. FWIW. all the bearings I've gotten recently have been white box Taiwan manufacture. On one set, the vendor was being cute by putting a peel-n-stick label with the Stude part number over the "Made in Taiwan."

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                X