No announcement yet.

SBC hydraulic throwout bearing ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: SBC hydraulic throwout bearing ideas?

In the process of converting my sbc powered 54 coupe to a t5 trans, I was thinking how much easier/cleaner it would be to install a hydraulic throwout bearing as opposed to using a slave cylinder that bolts to the engine side of the bellhousing. I know that MacLeod Clutches makes such a bearing, but I just found out the price is $446 for the bearing alone...yikes! Does anyone know of a factory style of hydraulic throwout bearing that would work with this combo that would be significantly cheaper? Is anyone running a SBC/T5 combo with slave cylinder? How is the clearance in a Stude c/k with stock steering box/pitman arm? Any photos? I really don't want to spend that much money on a bearing. Oh, ya forgot to say the trans/bellhousing is out of an '84 third gen. camaro/firebird, so the bell housing is not out of an 80's chevy truck that some members have used. Thanks for any info. Junior
    Last edited by junior; 03-05-2011, 08:37 AM.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

You can use one of Speedways throwout bearings ( 910-25612 ) for $149

Comment

What is the advantage of an '80s Chevy truck bellhousing? From what truck and with what engine?

Does it take the tilt of of the T5 as compared to a Camaro bellhousing?

thanks,

Comment

The 80's S 10 truck used a straight up trans. rather than the tilted to 15% like pass. cars. They also have a hydraulic slave cylinder that mounts to the side of the housing. Nice set up. Have one in an MGC with a Chev V6. Also beware that the S 10 used a longer pilot and you have to use the truck trans with the truck bell housing.
        Last edited by Alan; 03-05-2011, 10:29 AM. Reason: to add

Comment

Thanks Alan, I'll look into this. Also, didn't know about the s10 bell housings...what I've read though, mid 80's full-size Chevy pick-ups with standard trans and small block enginge had bell housings that also had tabs for hydraulic slave cylinders and mounted the transmissions at the 12:00 position. At first I didn't care for the 3rd gen 'clocked' bell housings, but as it turns out, in my particular situation, I have to use it because the shifter rail housing sits about 1/8" from the transmission tunnel right now to maintain the centerline of the crankshaft at a 4 degree angle to the horizon. If the tranmission was to remain upright, I could not maintain the crankshaft angle without making modifications to the tunnel. I really hope you've found the solution to my problem. Thanks so much. Junior.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Alan, had a look at the Speedway throwout bearing you referred to. On paper, it looks like it will do the trick. Have you any first-hand experience with this? Did you use it in the MG? On the Speedway website, one reference was to use a 1" bore master cylinder, and in the instructions it said to use a 3/4" bore master cylinder. Any thoughts anyone??? Thanks, Junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
            X