X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Hawk-Leaking heater control valve.

I searched past threads and found some advice. I need to repair or replace
    the valve. SI sells for $85.00 after core return, part 532880. My search
    found some help to rebuild using a Ranco kit HTR-100 from NAPA for less than
    $15. Bob Johnson's site has a well illustrated repair procedure that replaces the
    sealing diaphragm.
    Should I try to rebuild? Anyone had success doing it? Any recent use of the NAPA/Ranco kit?
    All other suggestions appreciated.
    ....Dick
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Thats' my valve rebuild on Bob Johnson's site, It works for me. There are a couple of caveats, the input tube must be nearly perfect, no major dents, and you gotta be careful taking it apart. You don't want to break any of the hold down tabs, they can't be replaced. If you're handy with hand tools its a cinch.

Print out the repair procedure and follow it closely.

good luck.

Comment

I did this rebuild on the 57 wagon about 4 years ago. Still works great, and no leaks.
      sigpic
      Ross.
      Riverside, Ca.
      1957 Provincial X2
      1958 Transtar

Comment

THanks Tom and Ross. Tom, that is a very well done instruction set. If I can find a source
        for the kit, I'll give the repair a try. Off to NAPA --bet they claim never to have heard of the HTR-100.
        The 1950 Champion Starlight
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

crimped/bent tubes can be straightened carefully with some deep 1/4" drive sockets if it comes to that... just don't force one that's too big in there or your world will become bad...

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

THanks Tom and Ross. Tom, that is a very well done instruction set. If I can find a source
            for the kit, I'll give the repair a try. Off to NAPA --bet they claim never to have heard of the HTR-100.
            ...because it will be the Balkamp 6601000 Heater valve repair kit w/ Ranco Type Thermostatically Controlled Valve....

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50080+2080011

I know because I bought one from Napa to rebuild the heater valve in the '55 eons ago ...
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
            X