Spring squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring squeak

I'm in the process of doing some front suspension work. I would like to eliminate the creek and squeak that come from what must be the springs. all the other components were in good shape with the exception being the control arm bushings. thus the reason for the work.
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

I am pretty sure it's the upper inner Control Arm Bushings, they are worn through the Rubber and are Metal to Metal, once replaced it will be fine.

If this has caused the A Arms to be damaged, you should have some on hand, to be prepared to replace them.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here's another thought. If you have recently replaced or tightened the bolts on the inner control arm bushings, keep in mind that tightening those bolts must be done with the car on the ground, or on a drive on lift, such that the full weight of the car is on the control arms. If they were tightened with the tires off the ground, then when the car is let down (weight on the tires/control arms), it forces the rubber in the bushings to spin inside of the steel sleeves, thus the squeak, NOT GOOD. If this was done, reverse the process and tighten the bolts with all weight on the tires.
      Russ Jenks
      Idaho Falls, ID
      \'62 GT Hawk
      \'64 GT Super Hawk
      \'60 Champ (2)

Comment

Originally posted by GTFan View Post
        Here's another thought. If you have recently replaced or tightened the bolts on the inner control arm bushings, keep in mind that tightening those bolts must be done with the car on the ground, or on a drive on lift, such that the full weight of the car is on the control arms. If they were tightened with the tires off the ground, then when the car is let down (weight on the tires/control arms), it forces the rubber in the bushings to spin inside of the steel sleeves, thus the squeak, NOT GOOD. If this was done, reverse the process and tighten the bolts with all weight on the tires.
        I have got the right side completely apart, theupper outside bushing shows signs of turning on the shaft. I am using Derlin bushings as a replacement. The A arms are okay, no damage there. the shaft on the upper is where it was loose causing the bushing to turn minor wear, should be okay with the derlin
        Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

If you have it apart, then replace the spring seat cushions, they are usually gone. (They are thin (about 1/8")rubber cups that cover the ends of the springs, and prevent metal to metal contact)
          SI has them
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

While you are at it look very closely for cracks, especially around the spring pockets. They can create a metal to metal wear and cause a squeak. One way to help find a crack is to look for linear peeling paint ( if there is paint).
            Rob

Comment

Working...
            X