welding machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: welding machine

I need a mig welder. I would love to get a Lincoln but kind of spendy. I have a coupon to get a 110amp 220volt flux and mig welder from Harbor Freight, made by Chicago Welding for 160 bucks. Will still need to buy gas bottle and gauge. Has anyone had any experience with this machine welding sheet metal? I need to replace floor pans and truck pan and maybe/probably hog troughs. Is this enough welder to do the job? Thanks guys, I don't want to anthing stupid...again that is.
    Jim

I don't know about the CE welder but think I'd hunt for a good used Lincoln or Mller/Hobart that you could test drive f you want to save some money. I also prefer the gas over flux core and 110 units are pretty much limited to sheet metal

Comment

Sorry I don't have any knowledge of the Harbor Freight or Chicago Welding MIG welders, but check the prices of the Lincoln MIG welders on Ebay before giving up on a well known / trusted brand of welder. You typically get what you pay for. I'm currently saving up for a Lincoln Power MIG 180, looks like a great machine.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Brent is the 180 the one that will weld Minnesota salt rust???
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Lincoln is the way to go. However, I have a Snap on mig welder with bottle. It does sticth, fill on a stand. $400
          Jim, do you still want that Hawk I have.
          Last edited by royvaldez; 03-03-2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I would still like to have the Hawk Roy. Are you planning any trips up this way? Are you offering to sell that welder? Or just bragging on what a great deal you got?
            Glad to hear from you and I knew I was having second thoughts about that ca welder! Thanks Guys, email me Roy.

Comment

Anything that plugs into a outlet from Harbor Freight scares me to death!!!!!!
              I bought one of their Stud Welders and I went through 4 before I got one that worked for more than 1 day. Had to drive 40+ miles to replace each one.
              I have a Century / Lincoln 115 Volt I use for body work, it is ok.
              Used a Hobart Handler purchased at a TSC store and was really impressed with it.
              59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
              51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
              27 Ford Roadster
              Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

I'd go with a name brand, and be sure to get one that is gas capable. Flux core wire makes a spattery mess.
                They cheaper the welder, the shorter the duty cycle......you can only weld with some for a few seconds, then you have to let the fan cool it down.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have a nice little bench top lincoln wire feed welder that I bought about 20 years ago. Unless things have changed, Lincoln has a very generous credit plan with low-interest. If you have good credit and your local lincoln dealer is customer oriented, they should be willing to work with you.

While you are at it, you might want to inquire about upgrading the nozzle. The nozzle and feed assembly is the heart of these systems and if you keep them in good shape, they should serve you well for years.

All the major brands, lincoln, Miller, Century, etc. have these small units and they are excellent for the type work most of us do. What got my attention was that I often saw them in professional maintenance and fab shops as I made my calls as an industrial supply salesman. Thes folks have little tolerance for cheap tools.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Jim, yes I would like to purchase lincoln mig welder. I plan on going to a zone meet in BC.

Comment

The problem with Harbor Freight tools is the quality is not consistent.

I own a HF stud welder that has worked for five years and has done my 54K as well as a couple of Packard top chops and still works fine. The same fellow that did the top chops also bought a similar HF welder and has used it successfully for a couple of years.

I agree with Bezhawk in that the way to go is a Gas Mig. If a lot cleaner and the wire is much cheaper. He is also correct about duty cycle but you can compare that in the specs. I like to burn a lot of wire when I get started so my 160 Amp Century can hold up to that demand. However, I'll bet 90+% of the hobby welders will not press the duty cycle much. If you do just stop and start much slower.

My advise if you decide to buy it is to buy the replacement policy. If it's cr@p then keep taking it back until you get a good one.

HOWEVER, LET ME CAUTION YOU ABOUT ONE PROBLEM WITH CHEAP WELDERS, IF THEY DO NOT HAVE INFINITELY VARIABLE HEAT AND FEED CONTROLS, IT WILL BE A ISSUE ADJUSTING THE SETTING TO DO A GOOD JOB ON SHEET METAL.

I just purchased a 12V winch from HR for $50 because I got tired of replacing $300 Warns on my ATV. I can afford to pitch it every three years which is how long the Warns lasted.

Bob

Comment

I had a nearly new 110 volt mig welder from Matco that was among the stuff I had moved to the new house before I was able to move in to live. It was used once (not by me even-loaned it to a friend ) and even had a full bottle of argon! I bought it from a bodyman I worked with for $200.00! Whoever stole it, I hope it blows up & electrocutes them!

A guy in the San Bernardino area offers a new Miller 140 for $550.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Lowe's has a Lincoln 220-volt, AC-225 stick welder for $289. I know nothing about welders, but think I need one. What is the difference between a flux core and gas core? Would this welder from Lowe's be a good one to get for all around work?
                          Thanks,
                          Sam

Comment

I bought the Hobart handler 140 at Tractor Supply. I've been happy with it so far. They have all the supplies to support it, are close by, and open nights and weekends.
                            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Agree totaly w/ "sweetolbob" - Harb Freight sells "cheap" stuff. Only use it if it is a one time use, rather than rent one for the same price. That way, if it dies, just toss it. Some buy the extra warranty and keep bringing back the broken unit - To me, that is a big pain, esp. when in the middle of a job.
                              A 110 volt unit (of good quality, Lincoln, Miller and a few others) will do sheet metal. Really need 220 V to do constant, heavier work.
                              Know of two users who bought from Tractor Supply - Got a great deal on a high qual. unit and, it was delivered to the local Lincoln dealer for pick up at no cost. Also, try the web for dealers in your area that amy honor special pricing from the manufacturer.
                              Paul K

Comment

Working...
                              X