floorshift conversion revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floorshift conversion revisited

Some time ago I asked about doing a powershift floorshift conversion. Time and money, and a couple of unforseen problems have changed a few things... Plus if I had known how simple it was to do what I accomplished, I would have done this in the first place...

Long story short... I put the powershift shift levers in a Flightomatic.

It works great. However, the shift sequence PNDLR does not match the PRND21 on the lever. It seems to me I remember someone has produced what I need, so it looks right. Is this so? or did I dream it?
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Gee...

I was thinking of adapting an AMC floor shifter because my wife said recently she wants to drive my/our Lark and she is a clutchophobe. Since it sounds like a powershift unit will work with a flightomatic, why use AMC parts when I can use Studebaker... now to find a used powershift

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Comment

PNDLR to PRNDL?

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
      /Cut/Long story short... I put the powershift shift levers in a Flightomatic.

It works great. However, the shift sequence PNDLR does not match the PRND21 on the lever. It seems to me I remember someone has produced what I need, so it looks right. Is this so? or did I dream it?
      You were DREAMING!
      Really though, a floor shifter Dial in the Stude. Pattern would be made of unobtainium, unless someone made a floor shift kit for Powerglides, or maybe the shifter on early 6 Cyl. Corvettes? That is about the only other Tranny I know of that used the "rock out of Snow, Low to Reverse" pattern.

I think a bigger problem though, is the DETENTS! There are safety lockout "bumps" in the correct places in the shifter to prevent hitting Reverse & Park, and would be in the WRONG places.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Rich. The detents actually work out OK. I made my own to keep from hitting reverse. The factory ones keep you out of Park/Nuetral. This actally works out better than I ever would hve dreamed. I still have to work out the safety switch/backup situation.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
        X