Clear All

Someone must have some pictures!
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
      I know I welded the lower sway bar brackets onto the Chevy truck arms when I installed the quick change axle..!

Mike
      ohhh, that sounds yummy...any photos of the quick change?? thanks, Junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
        Someone must have some pictures! Brian
        The best I can do is this~

That's what a '58 Packard sedan looks like.
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Maybe I missed someone saying it, but the early one's (53-55)
          land cruiser and president, and some others had them as a option,
          are a simple bolt on. And like mentioned, early shocks must be used.
          If you have a new exhaust system, you MUST check for clearence.

Comment

I have a few questions:

1. Do all of the early spring plates work or were there plates with tabs used on the Dana 27 axle?
            2. Do the sway bars used in the 57-58 Packards mount to the frame?
            3. Whats the difference between the early sedan set up and the later Lark rear sway bar?
            4. Does anyone have a picture from the parts book for the 57-58 rear sway bar? I'm sorry I'm a Lark guy and don't have any earlier manuals.

Nick

Comment

Many years ago I got the suspension and blower assembly of a 57 or 58 PackardBaker.

When I installed the parts on my 53 Commander hardtop, I was surprised to find out the 53 frame was drilled for the rear sway bar brackets that mounted to the frame and installation was simply a bolt on.

All the upgrades with a set of Michelin radials made quite a difference in the car.

Comment

These rear bars on the early cars were only installed on Land Cruiser or President Y body sedans so far as I know. Those have the #44 axle which is larger OD on the axle tubes compared to the #27 so far as I know. The plates hole spacing for the U bolts are drilled for that larger space for the larger OD axle. To put one on a car with a #27 would mean welding up the holes and drilling new ones I think or at least slotting the holes some.

I have one of these bars on my '53 and it was a complete bolt-on. No need to drill or weld anything on the frame at all. The '53 was originally a Champion 6 with the #27 axle. I have a ford 8" Maverick rear in the car now and the OD of that axle is larger than the #44 from the '55 President sedan the plates came out of so I had to elongate the holes a bit to get the U bolts in. That is the only mod I needed to do to install this in my car.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Seems like I had to remove the differential snubber when I installed a mid '50's rear sway bar on my '64 Cruiser.
                  Don't the mid '60's rear bars have a curve in them to clear the snubber?

Comment

Working...
                  X