Rear sway bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear sway bars

When did Studebaker use rear sway bars on the C&K cars? I am thinking of puting one on my Power Hawk.

John

1963 Super Hawks (full High-Performance Package cars) and all R-powered 1964 Hawks. Additionally, 1963 option #333 (rear stabilizer bar and traction bars) was introduced after the 1963 Super Studebakers went into production, and at least a few of them came equipped with that option. But any '63 Stude with the full Super package had those items.

The holes for installation should be in the frame of your Power Hawk. One of those holes is also used for the top bolt of the frame-mounted exhaust system hanger just behind the muffler(s).

George
    george krem

Comment

They were used on Golden hawks.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Rear Stabilizer Bars

Prior to 1963 they were ONLY used on "Y" Body Long Wheelbase Sedans,
        '53-54 Land Cruiser 4 dr. Sedans, '55 President State's, and '56-'58 President Classics.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Prior to 1963 they were ONLY used on "Y" Body Long Wheelbase Sedans,
          '53-54 Land Cruiser 4 dr. Sedans, '55 President State's, and '56-'58 President Classics.
          Studerich is right, I have never seen them STOCK before the super hawks. The earlier models mount differently
          (better and stronger) and do a good job.
          You will need the lower spring plates off of the earlier models if you use that set-up.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            Studerich is right, I have never seen them STOCK before the super hawks. The earlier models mount differently
            (better and stronger) and do a good job.
            You will need the lower spring plates off of the earlier models if you use that set-up.
            Can't you use the spring plates from a Super Hawk or Super Lark if you want to mount the rear bar on a 63-66 car? I thought that the only difference between those and the early ones was the tab for the shock mount.

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

As far as I know Nate, that would be true, but I think you have to think availability also.
              There were how many Super Larks/Hawks built? How many Avanti Powered with Stab. Bar Option,? How many remained after all these years that were salvaged for parts?

As you know the numbers of available units are VERY small, so the chances more than double if you look for early cars, because they all had the spring/shock mount plates with the Stab. mounting "Ears" both with and without Stab. Bars, you just have to use the early shocks.
              StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                As far as I know Nate, that would be true, but I think you have to think availability also.
                There were how many Super Larks/Hawks built? How many Avanti Powered with Stab. Bar Option,? How many remained after all these years that were salvaged for parts?

As you know the numbers of available units are VERY small, so the chances more than double if you look for early cars, because they all had the spring/shock mount plates with the Stab. mounting "Ears" both with and without Stab. Bars, you just have to use the early shocks.
                you're right Rich, but also people who are interested in adding sway bars might want to keep the late style shock mounts so that they could use performance-oriented shocks intended for early Camaros. I believe that Dave Thibeault has had some spring plates modded with welded-on tabs to replicate the factory "Super" spring plates.

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

My 54 Conestoga has one.
                  Though I fully understand anyone can get the parts and assemble your own...the chassis welds appear factory welds.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                    My 54 Conestoga has one.
                    Though I fully understand anyone can get the parts and assemble your own...the chassis welds appear factory welds.
                    Mike
                    That's interesting Mike, all I have seen were installed like most Studebaker Factory add-ons, just competely BOLTED, no Welds required!
                    StudeRich

Comment

Rich -

Hmmm...upper brackets...you may be right and I was thinking of something else back there.
                      I'll have to check.

I know I welded the lower sway bar brackets onto the Chevy truck arms when I installed the quick change axle..!

Mike

Comment

The mounting of the Earlier anti-sawy bars is totally different than R series ones.
                        Earlier ones have "U" brackets on the FRAME and links down to the spring plates.
                        R bars have "U" brackets bridging the axle "U" bolts, with links going up to welded on brackets on the frame.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948

Comment

The Avanti uses brackets that are welded to the frame but the Lark/Hawk uses a "U" shaped bracket that holds the bushing that the sway bar goes thru. This bracket is bolted to the frame using one of the holes that support the exhaust pipe bracket. Part # 1560747
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Learn something new every day! It would not seem to make much sense to have two different mounting systems.....the chasis is the same back there! you would think that they'd be cost conscious and use the one size fits all accross the board.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948

Comment

Avanti Rear Stabilizer Bar

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              Learn something new every day! It would not seem to make much sense to have two different mounting systems.....the chasis is the same back there! you would think that they'd be cost conscious and use the one size fits all across the board.
                              They definitely WOULD have, if it were possible!

The configuration of the Avanti Floor (Body) is so different because of the Rear Shelf Gas Tank Location, there is no room over the Axle, but tons of room where the Gas Tank IS on Lark Hawk.
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X