1963 Stromberg WW carby questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Stromberg WW carby questions

Some of you might recall I was rebuilding the original carb for my 259 Daytona. It now sits all shiny and clean on my bench waiting for warmer weather before I install it. I can see why the prev. owner said it ran and drove like crap - there no check balls in any of the appropriate locations, the choke cover was rotated about 60 degrees "lean" of the alignment mark, and the accelerator pump shaft was snapped inside the bore. (How does that happen?)

Some questions run thru my head since I have had some time to reminise about the rebuild:

1. The new accelerator pump is slightly smaller in diameter than the old one. The old one was tight in the bore and hard as rock. The new one very supple but is slightly loose in the bore - is that normal? Does the material (leather?) expand once it is in use?

2. Could someone please send pics of each side of an installed '63 2bbl carb (or attach them to this thread)? I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks

I'll get you some pictures tomorrow night unless somebody else puts them up here prior to that. As for the accelerator pump, I put some light weight oil on the leather before installing into the bore.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I can take pictures of the carburetor on my girlfriend's Lark this morning if someone else doesn't send you pictures first. The accelerator pump plunger must be soaked in light oil and then expanded with a small flat blade screwdriver before it's installed or it will not pump gasoline. Once the plunger leather is soaked with oil, place the screwdriver between the spring and the cup and run the screwdriver around a couple of times to expand the cup. I always squirt WD40 or something like that in the plunger bore to partially fill it to test the squirt action of the accelerator pump before putting the top back on the carburetor. Bud

Comment

Don't forget the spring that holds down the float pivot, or you will flood out every time!
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

+1 on oiling and expanding the accel. pump. neatsfoot oil if you have it, whatever oil you have around if no neatsfoot.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnston79 View Post
            Some of you might recall I was rebuilding the original carb for my 259 Daytona. It now sits all shiny and clean on my bench waiting for warmer weather before I install it. I can see why the prev. owner said it ran and drove like crap - there no check balls in any of the appropriate locations, the choke cover was rotated about 60 degrees "lean" of the alignment mark, and the accelerator pump shaft was snapped inside the bore. (How does that happen?)

Some questions run thru my head since I have had some time to reminise about the rebuild:

1. The new accelerator pump is slightly smaller in diameter than the old one. The old one was tight in the bore and hard as rock. The new one very supple but is slightly loose in the bore - is that normal? Does the material (leather?) expand once it is in use?

2. Could someone please send pics of each side of an installed '63 2bbl carb (or attach them to this thread)? I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks
            The accelerator pump in kits sold now have a slightly smaller diameter than the originals. I mentioned this to Jon Myer about a kit I got from him and he mic'd my original and his new one and confirmed that it was smaller. However, carefully flaring it as described by others solves the problem.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Here you go Ron, hope this helps. This is a 1964 Daytona. Ignore the choke cable as a previous owner modified the themostatic choke housing. Best of luck to you.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1722.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1667385

Name:	DSCF1723.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1667386

Name:	DSCF1724.jpg