Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail Light Lens Gaskets for '53/'54 Sedans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail Light Lens Gaskets for '53/'54 Sedans?

What are you '53/'54 sedan guys doing for tail light lens gaskets? SI doesn't repro them. Not sure if an adequate gasket can be cut out of that thin foam gasket material by hand.

I was thinking maybe a small diameter bead of RTV, and let it set fully before putting the lens on.

Ideas?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

In the past I have used rope caulk on some cars.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Frank has a good idea using rope caulk (aka dum-dum). I was thinking also you could trace the lens onto a thin cork gasket material & then cut it out with an xacto knife.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Maybe you can find something here, www.steelerubber.com. They have a good selection of universal rubber pieces and I heard that they can possibly make gaskets if you have an original or send them the lens. Not 100% sure on that though.

Comment

I have not tried it yet, but wouldn't paintable caulk from a tube make a good gasket? There are no gaskets available from SI for the marker/signal lights for my '55 Prez and I thought of using paintable caulk instead of a gasket. Any thoughts?
          sigpic
          55 President Deluxe
          64 Commander
          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
            I have not tried it yet, but wouldn't paintable caulk from a tube make a good gasket? There are no gaskets available from SI for the marker/signal lights for my '55 Prez and I thought of using paintable caulk instead of a gasket. Any thoughts?
            You might end up with too much adhesion making it almost impossible to change a bulb without breaking the lens when you try to remove it. I'd stick with Dum-Dum or gasket material.

Bob

Comment

How about trying a rubber or neoprene spline that holds screens in house windows and doors? Never tried it, but thought just popped into my brain. junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

That's a good idea Junior, I'll check that material out at Lowes tomorrow.

Keep the suggestions coming!!
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                X