Brake cylinder plumger removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake cylinder plumger removal?

My m-15 front brake cylinder plungers are frozen inside. can i hammer them straight through or?

Originally posted by Jeff P View Post
    My m-15 front brake cylinder plungers are frozen inside. can i hammer them straight through or?
    Sure, just be aware that they may not be useable after. If you don't bust up the pistons, the bore will probably need stainless sleeves.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Soaking in Kroil, PB Blaster, Marvel Mystery Oil etc. can't hurt, before pounding on the Pistons with a hardwood Hammer handle, they will likely require replacement or sleeving on further examination anyway as JDP mentioned.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes. Just get a pipe the right size that can be pressed flush against the inside of the piston and get a heavy ball peen hammer and a vice positioning the cylinder straight up and down, then start hammering. The contents will drop out the bottom with minimal damage. Clean up the pistons, be careful and don't damage those like a I did at first, because they don't come in rebuild kits. Hone the inside of cylinder and clean up each piston and you should have good seals. I'm not familiar with sleeves, but if the cylinder does fail after the test after install, just replace them the cylinder or sleeve whichever is most practical. Good luck
        Glenn
        Last edited by MyStude_51; 02-26-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I made an adapter with a zerk fitting and used the hydraulic force of my grease gun to remove the stuck pistons. Neal

Comment

Neal,

That is a slick idea.............
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I like the grease gun idea, but in the meantime, if you have a big enough bench vise, you can use a big socket and a small one and push the pistons out with the vise. Or a hydraulic press if you have one. After cleaning up the bore and pistons, you can use a feeler gauge to check the bore, in other words, the gap between the piston and the bore to see if they need sleeving. Most aftermarket manuals show how to make the measurement. That's assuming you don't have a bore go-no go gauge (who does?)

Comment

Working...
              X