question on saginaw steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on saginaw steering

hi out there. my question is this. is the saginaw steering box from a 62 lark V8 with power steering the same as a 65 commander with the chevy V8 with manual steering as long as it is also saginaw ?. are the ratios and steering arms all the same from pitman to bellcrank on front crossmember ?. any help would be nice. thanks in advance. skip.
    Last edited by skip; 02-25-2011, 07:23 PM.

Steering arms & reach rods are different between the two, but from what I can gather from the parts books, the gearbox themselves are the same. I believe Studebaker offered a dealer installed power steering kit, but I cant find a listing for it offhand. Do you have the 65 Commander?
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

saginaw steering gear

thanks. i was thinking along those lines but the manuals i have dont cover those years and models. the man who wants the stuff needs it to be specific to the 65 manual steering. thanks again. you havre been very helpful. happy Studebakering. skip.

Comment

Do-able Swap

Originally posted by skip View Post
        thanks. i was thinking along those lines but the manuals i have don't cover those years and models. the man who wants the stuff needs it to be specific to the 65 manual steering. thanks again. you have been very helpful. happy Studebakering. skip.
        I am wondering if you understood Warren correctly. I do not believe he is saying the swap will not work, the only difference should be the GM P/S Pump and brackets vs the Ford (Eaton) pump on the '62 and it's hoses!

Yes the Std. to Power Steering Pitman arm, drag link and bellcrank ARE different, but you knew that. I don't see why a complete '62 Lark P/S setup cannot replace a '65 Manual one, just swap all the lower parts over, except the Steering Gear Box and Column jacket, the ratios are the same except '63-'66 Wagonaires and all Convertibles.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X