Tie rod ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie rod ends

I don't necessarily need new tie rod ends, but thought I might replace all prior to an alignment job.
    The CASO in me wants to know if anyone has ever done a interchange check on the 51-62 car tie rod end.
    Did a forum search, no topics on this.
    They look pretty normal to me. What makes them stuedbaker specific?

the only direct listing I can find for them is @ NAPA and they are expensive, but there's a Ford part that I found listed for the longer, later end. So I suspect that the Moog ES-344L and ES-344R may work, but the threaded bit may be longer than original. only one way to find out... (and I haven't done it.)

per the info that I have the correct tie rod end is 3-7/64" long, and the numbers I listed above are 3-7/8" long.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have been looking into tie rods for my '53 and noticed that they seem to be different then other years and a lot more expensive. I dug into old parts books and even checked with Federal Mogul but they do seem to be specific for Studes. The best price I found so far is from Studebakerparts.com.

Comment

Dan. Stude # 530204 replaces with Ford C1UZ3A131A also C4UZ3A131A. I buy the polished Stainless Steel ones from Speedway for $39 each.

Comment

Dan, I sent you a pm.
          Originally posted by Michidan View Post
          I don't necessarily need new tie rod ends, but thought I might replace all prior to an alignment job.
          The CASO in me wants to know if anyone has ever done a interchange check on the 51-62 car tie rod end.
          Did a forum search, no topics on this.
          They look pretty normal to me. What makes them stuedbaker specific?
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Are these Ford no's good for a 61 Hawk?

Comment

There are 4 tie rod ends, 2 are like Ford and 2 are Stude specific.

Comment

take a look at the interchange on my web site, it kind of explains the differences in tie rods over the years (for each Stude part number, OAL is also listed along with whatever aftermarket interchanges I've collected.)

I suspect the Moog P/Ns that I listed above are the same parts as Alan references by Ford P/N but don't know that for sure.

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                X