start up old truck and parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• start up old truck and parts

I was wondering what precautions I should take before attempting to start an old 1950 R5 truck? It hasn't been started since the early 1980's. Its still setting in a barn with stuff pilled over it.
    I was also wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for parts like plugs, points ect. Any advice would be great as this is my first studebaker and oldest vehicle I've ever messed with.
    Thanks
    Kenny B

This is what I did on my 3E6 (57 1/2ton pickup w/245 cu. in 6) drained the oil, refilled. added new coil, condenser , points and a new battery. I also got new spark plugs all is available at you local parts house! You might have to double ck what the clerk gives you. Take all your old parts in to compare.
    I got a 1 gal gas can and a couple feet of rubber gas line hooked up to carb. turned over the eng. a few times about 10.sec primed the carb. waited a few sec. then pluged coil wire back on and started the engine. it started right up ran like a sowing machine. It was beautiful!

Comment

Its hopeless! You should just give it to me and save yourself the aggrevation. Start by pulling the plugs, adding a spoonful or so of Marvel Mystery Oil to each cylinder then turn the engine by hand to make sure everything moves as it should. There are several ways to prime the oil system but the prefered way is to pull the distributor and spin it up with a screwdriver in a drill. You CAN just bump the starter and watch for the oil pressure guage to come up. I personally remove the fuel line from the tank to the pump and drop it into a can of gas to test fire an engine but eventually you will need to drop the tank and clean the fuel system including all of the lines. Check/clean the points and it should fire. Good Luck, Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm on my way down to where the truck is now to start the digging out process and getting new tires on her.

Comment

If you are planning to move it assume no brakes. Hope the e-brake was left off!

Comment

You are right

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
            If you are planning to move it assume no brakes. Hope the e-brake was left off!
            Assume no brakes . I could not recest from driving it around the yard and long driveway. I had no brakes. I was very lucky I got it stopped by down shifting and then turn off the key!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0287.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1667339Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0264.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1667338Well here is a couple pics of her in all of her present glory.....altho she has been dug out of the junk now.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0283.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1667337

Comment

That looks like a really good starting point. Best of luck with it. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Looks good! Just a wash & some "Champ Shine" & you might be good to go! Chrome looks good in the pictures for it sitting so long. All that dirt may have helped things too.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Kenny,
                    Please read this:
                    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_things2do.asp

and...
                    join the Studebaker Drivers Club. You will receive the monthly magazine TURNING WHEELS. It will direct you to all the vendors and services you will need. First year membership is only $24.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/joinsdc.asp
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Welcome! (I'm the one that pointed you here) The way I primed the oil pump was to disconnect the oil pressure gauge and using a trigger type oil can, squirt the oil down to the the engine. My oil gauge connected to the oil pump so it just filled up the oil pump.

Nice looking truck!!!
                      1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
                      See rescue progress here on this blog:
                      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Rockne,
                        Well I joined the Stude Drivers Club a few days ago. My brother in law is looking for the owners manual for this old truck, its somewhere in the old farm house he says. Anyhow after reading that post its clear I will need a shop manual...and a lot more skills then I have now.

Comment

Is the windscreen sunvisor a Stuebaker or after market unit? It looks good.
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

John, It doesn't have the Studebaker name on it, I looked at it that last time I was down where the truck is. I'll get more info on it and post. We are still in winter here and the soggy ground and snow haven't let me get it out of the barn.

Comment

John, the visor says Fulton Company on it. I don't yet know if it left the factory with it or not. I ordered the Production Order from the Studebaker Musuem last week, that will tell me if it left the factory with it. I have no idea if it was an option or aftermarket.

Comment

Working...
                              X