Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

tow rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tow rating

Does anyone know the tow rating for a '53 1/2 ton short box pickup with a big-six overdrive?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Will in Colorado

"The Common Sense Car"
    "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
    '63 Lark "Lucy"
    '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
    A bunch of other Larks
    '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

There were no official "tow ratings" back then.

My guess is that you could probably tow 1/2 ton (1,000 pound trailer) without a lot of problems. Anything over that and I'd make sure you had a good class 3 hitch and electric trailer brakes. Maybe 3-4,000 pounds max safely that way. Just my estimate.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Depends on how fast you want to go, more importantly how fast you can STOP.
      Seriously I have no idea weight wise but if your running stock brakes I suggest no more than 1 to 2000#, escpecially true if you consider that your from the mountain country.
      Russ
      quote:Originally posted by lotsalarks

Does anyone know the tow rating for a '53 1/2 ton short box pickup with a big-six overdrive?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Will in Colorado

"The Common Sense Car"
      Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...