Powershift Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Powershift Automatic

The Powershift transmission in my 64 Hawk (now with 95,000 miles) hasn't given me any problems since its rebuild in 1987 (at 84,000 miles). I generally drive the Hawk for a few miles each weekend all year long. This past Saturday when I took the car out, the transmission for the first time seemed to be having some problems shifting. I was able to get home and put it in my garage. Then, Sunday, when I started the Hawk, the transmission did nothing regardless of which position I put it in, forward or reverse. My garage is very small and I can't even open the Hawk's hood with the car fully in it or put it on ramps there, so I couldn't really do any checking, but I didn't see any fluid underneath. I hope to pull the car out of the garage this weekend, if more of the ice has melted here and it's not too cold. Are there particular things that I should be looking for? Please reassure me, if possible, that this isn't necessarily a catastrophic failure.

Mark

Hopefully it is just very low on AT fluid due to a slow leak. That would be the best, of course it may be something more serious. Good luck! Let us know when you investigate further.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just a thought. Since the powershift has cooler lines going to the radiator, check you coolant for trans fluid contamination too.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It looks like the immediate problem was low level of transmission fluid. I added a quart plus and now the transmission operates okay. Of course, the reason for the low level still requires investigation...

Comment

What is you middle name Lucky???
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Working...
          X