No announcement yet.

Inferior engineering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prestolite will fabricate one for you if you send them the dist.

Comment

Check that. Never hit send before proofreading. Pertronix will fabricate one for you if you send them the dist.

Comment

How about a good ol fashion Mallory?

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          Mark, what was the Pertronix p/n for the Prestolite single point unit?
          Does anyone know why Pertronix stopped making this unit? Was there an inherent problem with it?
          It was a 1200PR, I sold a few before they were discontinued. BUT, it's NOT a Pertronix it's a Pertronix module modified and sold by Crane. If my memory serves, Crane is now gone.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This is a very interesting thread to me. My distributor just died, from what my mechanic told me. So I need to get a new distributor. The car is a 64 Cruiser with a standard 289 (100k mi on engine) and automatic. Should I put a rebuilt distributor in, or one of the new ones T-bow sells or what? I use the car for a daily driver.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

As Bud said; a good used '51-'59 Early Delco will serve you well for very little $, just clean, lube and install a Pertronix, or the CASO method, new Points, Condensor, Cap and Rotor.

I know nothing, but I do know (like Jim Turner does) if you have a friend, and excellent Mechanic who OWNS his own Distributor Machine and knows how to use it, you listen!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm adding one more comment to this issue. StudeRich is correct about the earlier distributors, but use a distributor from a 259 or 289 because the 232's used a different advance curve which could cause a later engine to detonate. Bud

Comment

What an education one derives from this forum...............I stand humbled:-)

................................................and it's gratis!

Comment

Advance curves CAN be changed...in "either" distributor...!

The distributers are much the same. I've had both apart, in my own garage. No, he said, she said, here.

The big difference, the Delco unit has its advance weights up on top of the point plate...the Prestolite designers hid their advance weights below the point plate.
                    What's the difference...the Delco weights, springs, pins get MUCH more attention...cleaning and lube are the two things most needed. The Prestolite gets none, no cleaning, no lube on the advance weight pin pivot points. This causes a slightly advanced wear of these parts.
                    And when "one"...advance weight locks up, neither move, then you have no mechanical ignition advance.
                    Bushing and shaft wise, almost (if not) identical.

So...the main reason for a Delco (read that GM...!) is -
                    1. Easier rebuild
                    2. Easier to change the advance curve.
                    3. Easier upkeep.
                    4. Easier to get aftermarket ignition parts.

Mike

Comment

My complaint with the window distributors is the excessive end play which is a PITA to correct and the price of a good distributor. Many Studebaker owners seem to believe that the window distributor is somehow superior to any of the other distributors which drove up the price of one considerably. Mike is correct when he says that the Prestolite advance mechanisms get no service until they fail and then the problem is the fault of the distributor. Most of the earlier Delco distributors that I've serviced don't have excessive wear problems to the centrifugal advance enen though it's buried under the breaker plate. The centrifugal advance rate, not the total advance can easily be changed on all of the distributors by changing the springs. I have a distributor machine in the garage and have done that many times according to the demands of the engine. Another advantage to the Prestolite and the early Delco distributors is that they have an adjustable vacuum advance that the window distributor doesn't have unless an aftermarket adjustable vacuum advance is installed. Bud

Comment

Buffalo Machine works has rebuilt 2 Prestolites for me, one for my 8 cyl. Hudson and one for my R1 Hawk (dual point). He does excellent work, not cheap, but the distributor looks like brand new when you get it back:

http://www.buffalomachineworks.com/

He swears by the Prestolite if it is rebuilt correctly over the Delco.
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          It was a 1200PR, I sold a few before they were discontinued. BUT, it's NOT a Pertronix it's a Pertronix module modified and sold by Crane. If my memory serves, Crane is now gone.
                          Crane is still around and still under American ownership. http://www.cranecams.com/index.php

Nick

Comment

Tit or tat ?

Delco has always been considered good quality though the years , Like AMC Studebaker often went to the lowest bidder for their parts, keeping within a certain factory standard for quality but at the same time keeping the atempt to sell a quality car at a competative price Like the Scotsman model boosting the best for the money over all the other maker's.
                            Delco is a better quality part and has the parts you need still readily available, as Delco was biult and owned by G.M. you still can ask for the same parts such as the condensor under another listing such as Chevrolet which is a lesser challgen for some parts counter computer geek kid fresh out of high school with no knowledge for parts other then what a computer tells him these day's

Comment

Working...
                            X