Avanti clutch linkage fixes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti clutch linkage fixes??

For only having 65K on it my linkage- cross shaft has oblonged both the upper and lower holes, the ones for the rod from the pedal and the one that is the adjuster to the clutch fork. I seem to remember someone showing a repair that they did but a search on this sight turns up nothing. Thanks for the help Lou Cote

Lou, if I remember correctly, what one Member did is ream out the holes in the lever ends and install a Teflon bushing.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well a machinist friend did come with a fix, he makes fixtures for a local aircraft manufacturer. He used drill bushings, they are a guide for a drill and are very hard. They can be ground down to the width of the cross shaft, they come in several ids. You won't be drilling one of those out. We drilled cross shaft under size then milled closer, finally pushed bushing with arbor press. Slops gone. Lou Cote RQB 4240

Comment

How do you drill undersize????
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I wouldnt trust teflon, here is what I did :

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...read.php?47469

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

UPDATE:, drill undersize of OD of said bushing, some rework of drilled hole so that bushing is press fit. I still wasn't happy with clutch operation, so out comes the cross shaft again. Hauled it to work, placed on mill & drill and drilled the upper hole [for rod from clutch pedal] to 1/2 " to fit bushings from Hurst pit pack. I had to cut down the height of the bushings to fit the the arm thickness. I tried this out in the garage today [ as it's been snowing all day] and worked as it should and has correct free play- no grinding into reverse. Lou Cote

Comment

Further update: after studying linkage in operation, with a helper, I found that the lower lever on the cross shaft had a twist in it, and wasn't running straight. so out with the hot wrench, clamp in vise and with a large crescent after appling appropriate amount of heat back to straight. Lou Cote RQB 4240

Comment

Working...
              X