Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRIVESHAFT ALLIGNMENT

HELLO EVERYONE!
    MY SILVER HAWK HAS A 2 PIECE DRIVESHFT. THE BOOK SAYS TO ASSEMBLE THE FRONT & BACK SHAFTS WITH THE GREESE FITTINGS ALLIGNED. MY BROTHER SAYS THAT DRIVESHAFTS HAVE TO BE ALLIGNED "ROTATIONALLY" IN THE RIGHT WAY. I THINK I GET THE GENERAL IDEA HERE, BUT CAN ANYONE SPEAK TO THIS IN MORE DETAIL? I JUST BOUGHT ALL THE U JOINTS AND CARRIER BEARING & I PLAN ON INSTALLING THE NEW PARTS THIS WEEKEND.

REGARDS-----DAN WARD

PS---CONCERNING THE BIG SOUTH BEND MEET IN JUNE--IS THAT A SWAP MEET AS WELL--IE--WILL THERE BE PARTS FOR SALE ETC?

PLEAS turn off the caps! [xx(]

Thanks....................

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Concerning the big South Bend meet in June. Yes there will be parts for sale at the Fairgrounds, where most of the activity will be, and also at SASCO, probably an equal number of vendors at each place.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

I don't have a clue what aligned "rotationally" means, but I'd probably do it like the shop manual describes and/or take some notes as you take it apart and put it back together the same.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I imagine they mean having the yokes on both ends pointing the same direction. In other words, on a one piece drive shaft, if the yoke on the transmission output shaft is in the vertical position, the yoke on the input shaft of the differential needs to also be in the vertical position. With a one piece, it's impossible to mix it up unless you cut and weld the driveshaft. On a two piece driveshaft, the yoke on the differential will be oriented 180 degrees from the transmission output shaft. The yokes on the first U joint need to have the same orientation as the next one so the second one cancels out the accelleration-decelleration speed variation caused by the front joint. The more acute the angle, the more pronounced the speed variation is. Back in the good old days, tractor power take off shafts were square with a telescopic joint and it was possible to get the joints 180 degrees off. As long as you were going straight, everything was fine but when you turned and the joints were forced to run at an angle, the vibration resulting from the pto shaft trying to speed up and slow down the driven shaft of the implement 540 times a minute would literally destroy gearboxes, U joints and all sorts of other things if you weren't smart enough to shut things down and correct the situation. These days pto shafts are make so that it's impossible to get them 180 degrees out of whack.

Comment

Dan...
            Go to:

Read up on two piece driveshafts..
            It's not complicated, and you can get it done ok...
            Hang in there!
            Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
            Brooklet, Georgia
            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
            '61 Hawk (project)
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks to all for the driveshaft information. It appears that it was installed incorrectly. The rubber bushings are also in bad shape--hopefully changing both these items will correct the problem---Dan

Comment

Working...
              X