Avanti windshield washer system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti windshield washer system

In the final part of the restoration, it seems that the foot pump for my factory installed Avanti windshield washer system is not wired, nor has it been for who knows how long.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the set-up?

Also, since I'm ordering parts, is it likely something has perished due to age and non-use?

Do you think I should invest in a new foot pump, switch and able for the system (part # 1558137)?
    Or should I just buy the pump (part 1552798)?

Any experience or gueeses are most welcome.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

do you have the build sheet for the car? What's the AC-number for the windshield washers? I'm not sure about Avantis, but on regular Studes, you could get standard windshield washers, which did not have an electrical switch on the foot pump, or "automatic" windshield washers, which did.

Personally I prefer the former, as when I hear those wiper blades dragging dry across a salt-encrusted windshield, I cringe a little. Most new cars don't separate the wash and wipe functions though, so I have no choice. On older cars I always liked to get the windshield good and wet, *then* turn on the wipers. (sitting at a light, of course...)

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It's listed as option 63, Electric windshield washer.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I would be tempted to buy the whole lot.
        Be careful though as the the Hawk/Lark ones are similar but don't have as many wires ( i'm sure you know).
        pb

Comment

OK, so yours *should* be the electric type.

if the switch and harness are still present, have a look at the wires where they connect to the switch. Usual failure mode of these is the wires breaking off where they connect to the switch, and a little work with a soldering iron can fix it.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X