Quick steering arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrobertweiss View Post
    The biggest issue with using the alignment tool was getting the 15 degrees right/left wheel-turning accurately done. So I just got tired of screwing around with it... I may need to pick up some turntables, because scribing the 15 degrees was a real nuisance.
    Manuel,

I used four cheap pizza tins for turntables. Cut the rolled edges off, and put two under each wheel with some grease between the two tins. Not as snazzy as store-bought turntables, but worked for me. Figure out what 15 degees is on the circumference of the tins and mark them to get the wheels turned accurately.

Got this tip from Jeff Rice...........
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I used the pie pans. They move a little relative to floor and themselves, and are not very accurate. It's difficult to get one pan to slide on the other, even with grease, cook oil, etc. A difference of 2 degrees error throws a significant error into the caster calculation with the digital gauges.

Comment

I've used floor tile, galvanized tin, or anything smooth with heavy gear oil. Makes a mess though. I mark the angles on the floor but time consuming to get them right. I use a bubble gauge. .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          Most cars today drive around with much more (+) caster thAn is possible with the Stude suspension,
          Mike
          SomedAy you will grOw up, thAn thIngs will gEt bEtter around hEre.

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

This is the first I've heard of a early & late spindle. When did the "late" spindle come? I have had a pair of the quick arms for a few years now intending to put them on my 63 Hawk, but if that still has the early spindles, I guess it will have to wait.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Your '63 should have been OEM with the later spindles.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X