Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General stupid question..oil level

Okay, don't laugh.
    I just changed the oil in my "other car". I added 5 quarts of oil, 4 for the crankcase, one for the filter...per the book.

But the oil level is about 1/4 inch above the "fill" line.
    Is that okay?
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

You will only have problems if the crankshaft hits the oil. I would think that you would be safe at that level when it is running. The oil level will drop some as it is circulated and clings to engine surfaces.
    If the crank is constantly hitting the oil it might foam it and cause aireation which could concieveably damage bearings.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Most modern filters don't hold a pint of oil, your owners manual should tell you how much is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by jallen View Post
        Most modern filters don't hold a pint of oil, your owners manual should tell you how much is needed.
        No owners manual, it's a custom with a ancient (early 60s) engine. I got the 1 quart for the filter from a website dedicated to the engine.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If you don't feel safe-just drain the 1/4" off or out.
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

It's not uncommon to see dipsticks not marked quite accurately. If you added the amount of oil the engine calls for, the dipstick is nothing more than a general guide.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

also, you can tell me to shut up if I am insulting your intelligence, but if you did not start the engine before checking the oil the filter will not be full.

With engines with a base-up filter (SBC, full flow Stude) I like to fill the filter can with oil *before* installing to allow for immediate pressure to the bearings after an oil change.

nate
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                also, you can tell me to shut up if I am insulting your intelligence, but if you did not start the engine before checking the oil the filter will not be full.
                nate
                Don't worry, when it comes to mechanics, its VERY hard to insult my intelligence.
                I take nothing for granted.
                To answer your question, no I did not start it, that's why I posted the question better to ask before doing anything stupid...like starting the car with too much oil.

I did crank the engine with the ignition off, to help distribute the oil.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Start the engine, warm it up, then check it again.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

I started it, now the dipstick says oil is slightly low. Live and learn.

Everyone, thanks for your suggestions....
                    Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                    X