X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod & Main Bearings...

Posted for my significant other.
    Heather

Soon, I will be building a couple Stude V8's in the near future.

I have heard pros and cons about most of the bearings still available for them. I won't use any of the 'unmarked white-box' chineese bearings after an experience with them in a cruiser 4 years ago.

My question is, it basically comes down to the easily available Federal-Mogul rod & main bearings, or some stock of Clevite tri-metal 77's I've found. The clevites being almost double the price.

Are the Federal-Moguls satisfactory? Are the clevites truly worth the extra money? Your thoughts?

Yes, Federal-Mogul are satisfactory.

No, Clevite is not worth twice as much unless you are building an all out racing engine.

Maybe, tell us what kind of engines you are building.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

The Federal Mogul bearings would be my choice for a fairly stock street engine. The tri metal Clevite bearings are a better choice for a high performance engine as they have a harder babbit material. The down side to the Clevite bearings is their imbedability, they won't allow small pieces of foreign material to imbed into the babbit as easily which can cause accelerated wear to the bearing journals on the crankshaft and camshaft if the oil and filter aren't changed regularly. Bud

Comment

Pretty good description, Bud.
        Here's from their website.
        http://catalog.mahleclevite.com/bearing/

I laugh a bit when people say one company is 'better' than the other any more (except for technical differences as described here).
        Federal-Mogul owned Clevite for a short time when they acquired the British conglomerate T&N (that included Ferodo).
        The fed specifically told F/M they had to sell Clevite (as part of the FEC approval process) so there would not be a monopoly in the shell bearing business.
        F/M got totally hosed in that deal, as Ferodo brought with it massive asbestos lawsuits in the US (that Ferodo was shielded from in the UK).
        F/M ended up filing bankruptcy to protect itself from those lawsuits.

Originally posted by Bud View Post
        The Federal Mogul bearings would be my choice for a fairly stock street engine. The tri metal Clevite bearings are a better choice for a high performance engine as they have a harder babbit material. The down side to the Clevite bearings is their imbedability, they won't allow small pieces of foreign material to imbed into the babbit as easily which can cause accelerated wear to the bearing journals on the crankshaft and camshaft if the oil and filter aren't changed regularly. Bud
        Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-23-2011, 06:19 AM. Reason: To correct omission in fact stream.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Were the factory main and rod bearings a Clevite 77? What vendors now offer the Clevite 77?
          Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

The Tri-Metal Clevite 77's were only Standard on the 3 Intermediate Main Bearings and the Rods on H.D. Truck Engines, Jet Thrust and Avanti Engines.

They are no longer made for Studebaker, but a few do remain at some Studebaker Vendors, mostly in the slow selling sizes .020 & .030.
            Most of us just kept a few for our personal Performance Engines only. I think the last price I had on the Rods was $274.90
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm be more concerned with crank and rod condition condition than bearing manufacturer.
              I worry a lot about fully developed radiuses on the bearing journals (to prevent fatigue cracks forming) , roundness, taper, and "barrel" shape. My worry manifests itself in magnaflux inspection, then over a hundred measurements with a micrometer/bore gauge.

I worked for a highly regarded New England specialty automotive machine shop for a few decades. One day in the hot rod 70s a customer brought in some rods we had reworked and said the big ends were 0.002 inch oversize. They were. The foreman had done the work. I guess it could as easily have been me, or even the boss. We discovered an anomaly in the Sunnen gauge, that could be prevented 100% by biasing the centering calibration a particular way. But my boss had a batch of hardened calibration tooling rings for common engines made up anyway. Another time a conscientious machinist was honing rods with beautifully round bores, right to the tight end of the tolerance, but we later found out, with about 0.0005 inch barrel shape ( tight at the edges). He was checking size only near the center where the Sunnen gauge automatically sits. The rod bores were barrel shaped because an improper stroking sequence wore the stones and shoes that way. If the bore taper had been measured during the refinishing process then the stones/shoes could have been "trued" by various means. The half-thou' barrel shape would probably not have caused a problem in a passenger car engine otherwise in good condition. The oversized Bigends would have about 0.002 inch extra oil clearance, and the inserts would not have full "crush" which is important for heat transfer and to prevent micromotion. Every engine needs that.
              Last edited by Dan Timberlake; 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM. Reason: left out truing the stones

Comment

X2 on the importance of rod and crank re-conditioning accuracy. Recently, I went through the same discussion with a local guy who was proud he had paid big money for genuine Clevite 77 bearings. When I asked him who had resized his rods, I got the blank "Huh?"

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                X