Brake lines for '65 Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lines for '65 Cruiser

I went to In Line Tube's website ready to order stainless steel brake lines for the Cruiser. They list Larks 1960-64. They list them at 113" wheelbase which I think is correct for my car as well. My question is, is there any difference in the brake lines on a '64 and '65. Also does it make any difference that it is a Cruiser? I will be putting Turner Discs on the front.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

cruiser makes a difference in WB

I don't think there are any other differences, although they should make you specify power/non power and also whether or not you have front discs. I believe with turner brakes you specify front drums and everything should work fine.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
      I went to In Line Tube's website ready to order stainless steel brake lines for the Cruiser. They list Larks 1960-64. They list them at 113" wheelbase which I think is correct for my car as well. My question is, is there any difference in the brake lines on a '64 and '65. Also does it make any difference that it is a Cruiser? I will be putting Turner Discs on the front.

Thanks in advance for the help.
      DON'T DO IT! Inline Tube is absolutely, positively, the worst vendor experience I've EVER had with my '64 Daytona....heck, either Stude.

Their website says '60-64, but what I got was for an under-floor master cylinder...too short. Remember, Larks went to swing pedals in '61 and I think at the same time went to the underhood master cylinder. Also remember, in '63 Larks (most, anyway) went to a dual master cylinder. Before that, only single cylinders existed. Also, remember in '63 Larks started offering disc brakes. Nothing on Inline Tube's website mentions any of these very basic differences from '60 to '64.

The guy installing the brake lines for me got attitude on the phone from them. They resent a "revised" set and they too were too short and bent incorrectly, and the stainless was brittle as well. When I sent an email complaining further (yet politely), I was never replied to.

Only vendor I've ever had a real complaint with, and that didn't handle a complaint.

Walk, no RUN, away from them!
      Last edited by Bill Pressler; 01-21-2011, 11:24 AM.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Here is a link to specs including wheelbases. For 65 and 66, only 2 doors were 109", all 4 doors sedans including the Cruiser, & the wagons are 113".
        http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/stud60.html#chas

This is perhaps a silly question already answered many times, but if you are using Turner Brake parts, why not ask who they would recommend? There are so many variations in 60's Studebaker master cylinders (and lines) power (Hydrovac single and non Hydrovac dual), non power dual, drum disc my head spins.

Comment

Why not just make them yourself? I get my stainless tube stock from Dillsburg Aeroplane Works.
          The Dillsburg Aeroplane Works
          Aircraft-Race Car-Machine Shop-Raw Materials
          Charles T. Vogelsong
          114 Sawmill Road, Dillsburg, Pa 17019
          (717) 432-4589
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Joe: I'm glad Bill Pressler saw this and posted. I drafted an earlier reply to this topic, delineating Bill's terrible experience with them, but thought better of posting it, so deleted without posting. Fortunately, Bill saw this and posted accordingly.

In-Line Tube appears to have simply not spent enough time researching and looking at the many variables of Studebaker brake lines. The market may be just too small for them to invest the R&D....in which case they should carefully identify and advertise what they do have and not mislead people into thinking they have patterns and applications for things they do not have. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Summit, or maybe it was Jeg's, sells a kit with a 25' spool of stainless, fittings, a bender, and a flaring tool. You might look at that too.

Comment

Joe Know a guy who can do them local if you have old ones. I probably do if you don't. Why ss since steel lasted 50 years. See you Sat. at Founders day meet.

Comment

Working...
                X