No announcement yet.

Oil Leak question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studebakers do not leak oil just to do it... THEY ARE MARKING THEIR TERRITORY!

Comment

Love it! I finally got all the engione oil to stop leaking and then the pressure hose on the PS decided to start leaking, to the tune of one pint every other day. Replaced the PS hoses and rebuilt the control valve....now the tranny wants its turn. I almost have everything that can leak fixed. Then I am sure it will be time to start the process all over again. Gotta love it.

Mark

Comment

Don't forget the old Studebaker proverb........"If it ain't leakin'....it must be empty"

Dan Miller
        Auburn, GA

Comment

Tomorrow I'm attacking two of Louise's leaks" Front brakes (Turner kit going on.) and coolant. (Old hoses and thermostat being replaced.)
          That'll leave the power steering, Flight-O-Matic rear seal, a/c and TT rear to seal up!

Yes, I prefer this to a new car. No, I don't want to be cured. . .

Comment

I second that notion. Very good

Originally posted by skyway View Post
            You might also want to take a look at the flexible hose from the rear of the passenger's cylinder head to the oil pressure guage. That thing is full pressure to the guage, and when leaking can really pump it out. You should always carry a spare, or at least a pipe plug as insurance, and if you've never changed yours it may be time!
            I once changed the rear main, timing cover and crank seal only to find that my head oil pressure to gauge hose was leaking This could be the likely culprit as was mine. jimmijim
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Front timing cover spacer

You said your engine stopped leaking, Lucky you.... and I don't believe it. :-) so assume I am just offering this for others reading this thread who aren't so lucky.

On the 289 V8 There is a semi-circular spacer plate between the bottom half of the timing cover and the front of the oil pan, and it is made of aluminum and is very soft. Very (VERY) frequently the threads are stripped out on these bolt holes, and sometimes the spacer insert is also misshapen from being improperly tightened.

Drilling out and helicoiling these bolt holes is often necessary, along with carefully ensuring that the spacer is rendered FLAT and not distorted, to make the copious flow of oil cease pouring from the front of the Studebaker v8 engine.
              Attached Files

Comment

Addendum

Originally posted by wfhenderson View Post
                You said your engine stopped leaking, Lucky you.... and I don't believe it. :-) so assume I am just offering this for others reading this thread who aren't so lucky.

On the 289 V8 There is a semi-circular spacer plate between the bottom half of the timing cover and the front of the oil pan, and it is made of aluminum and is very soft. Very (VERY) frequently the threads are stripped out on these bolt holes, and sometimes the spacer insert is also misshapen from being improperly tightened.

Drilling out and helicoiling these bolt holes is often necessary, along with carefully ensuring that the spacer is rendered FLAT and not distorted, to make the copious flow of oil cease pouring from the front of the Studebaker v8 engine.
                The back up large washer like thingy that is attached to the cover on the inside that is called a seal retainer is sometimes drilled at 5 and 7 o'clock position with an 1/8 inch drill bit{remove before drilling holes in it} so as to allow the excessive oil soaked up by the felt seal to hopefully flow back into the oil pan so as to somehow prevent it from wicking around the shaft causing drips on the driveway. 7 years and still not leaking on mine. jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                X