Gasket sealants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasket sealants

Are any sealants used for the 289 valley cover (cork), valve covers (neoprene) and intake gaskets?

Also, what would you torque the aluminum valve covers and aluminum valley cover? Same as the shop manual shows?

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

I would recommend a good Permatex Ultra Black gasket sealer.
    Place it on the valve cover gasket and put the gasket in the valve cover.
    Set it on a nice flat surface (steel plate) and put a weight on the valve cover and let it set up overnight.
    Then you can install the valve cover with just a real thin film of gasket sealer on the gasket when you install it on the head.
    Torque the nuts lightly and let this set up also.
    Then tighten the nuts to spec.
    They should stay real clean that way.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

Are any sealants used for the 289 valley cover (cork), valve covers (neoprene) and intake gaskets?

Also, what would you torque the aluminum valve covers and aluminum valley cover? Same as the shop manual shows?

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If he's using aluminum covers, he'll need something that sticks real well... I've never tried using silicone to do this, it may work though. I've been using good old fashioned gasket cement on the gaskets and covers, and nothing on the head/block side.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Permatex Ultra-Black is good stuff...
        Way tougher than wimpy silicone...
        I have done a half dozen Studebaker engine aluminum valve covers, and valley covers with this stuff...
        All I know is....it works great.

(Use their 'Ultra-Copper' for intake manifolds...)
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by N8N

If he's using aluminum covers, he'll need something that sticks real well... I've never tried using silicone to do this, it may work though. I've been using good old fashioned gasket cement on the gaskets and covers, and nothing on the head/block side.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Jeff, if you put sealer on the valve cover gaskets, can you re-use them? If so, how do you clean them for re-use?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I have a tube of Ultra Black which I used on my Differential Gasket. I recently purchased a can Permatex Copper Spray Gasket sealer which I was going to use on some paper gaskets. I will be installing my valve covers tomorrow night. What would you recommend to use on the cork impregnated rubber valve cover gaskets. Should I use the Ultra Black or should I spray the gaskets with the Copper Spray and install them. What is the better product to use on the Valve Covers.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

The way Jeff described it is the best way .I been doing it like that for years works great.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

We've always used the permatex and it works great. Except we use the gray stuff. I'm sure it works just as good. Haven't used the black yet. But that gray really sticks. Sometimes its tough to get off. In fact, 2 years ago we had a valve cover gasket blow out when we were on a trip and we used that gray stuff to fill the gap. Worked pretty good.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
                Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Comment

If you have cork impregnated rubber valve cover gaskets, you must have some pretty OLD stock ones. The best ones to use are the fresh new neoprene (rubber) ones, they are solid black rubber looking type.

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

What would you recommend to use on the cork impregnated rubber valve cover gaskets.
                  StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I dont care for silicone type sealers, if you want to make sure its
                    not going to leak, use Permatex No2. On rubber/neoprene valve cover
                    gaskets I use it on the gasket to valve cover side. Its gooey and is
                    great for 'glueing' it to the valve cover. The head side I use a thin
                    coat of oil. They can be taken off and reinstalled a few times as
                    long as you match the impression made by the head in the gasket. This
                    is done by tightening the nuts and moving the cover until it settles.

Valley covers again .. Permatex No2, thin coat both sides. Also works
                    great for all water connection paper gaskets. Great stuff, never had
                    a leak. I have had issues with silicone sealers not sticking well to
                    surfaces that are not perfectly clean. The beads also like to roll
                    out of the squish area is you let it set up too long. Permatex No2 is
                    pretty much idiot/leak proof .. and I hate resealing things later!

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I would use the Ultra Black on the valve covers.
                      It's thicker and designed to be a gasket replacer as well as a sealer.
                      It isn't 'shiny' like some of the older/cheaper silicone sealers.
                      I also recommend Ultra Copper for intake manifolds.
                      It is a higher temp sealer, and has given me no problems on Stude heads.
                      Even around the heat crossover port.
                      This stuff is way, way better than the old #2 (non hardening) Permatex.
                      (My tubes of that fossilized years ago)
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

I have a tube of Ultra Black which I used on my Differential Gasket. I recently purchased a can Permatex Copper Spray Gasket sealer which I was going to use on some paper gaskets. I will be installing my valve covers tomorrow night. What would you recommend to use on the cork impregnated rubber valve cover gaskets. Should I use the Ultra Black or should I spray the gaskets with the Copper Spray and install them. What is the better product to use on the Valve Covers.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                      Brooklet, Georgia
                      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                      '61 Hawk (project)
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X