Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

More spring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More spring questions

I'm removing my rear springs (53 coupe) to install new bushings.
    So far , removed gas tank, and have one spring out, O what fun we had..

Since I will have them out I'm thinking new slider material between leaves.
    Does anyone know if those spring clips are reusable, or how to remove them if they are, or where to get new ones if they are not?

This is not a fun job i gotta tell you, those front bolts are just siezed solid, I spent a long time under the car with a sawzall just to get the one side out.
    I f you're thinking of doing this I would allow several days, just based on my progress so far.

there's a lesson in there about using anti-seize... unfortunately Studebaker didn't get the memo!

I think those clips are an off the shelf part at a spring and driveshaft shop, but if your area is anything like mine, good luck finding one!

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com have the liners or spacers between leaves and pads for the Diff mounts, the clamps may be available at the spring Mfg's like Detroit Eaton Spring.
      I don't really know what you mean by "Clips".
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

As a matter of fact John, I just removed the rear springs from my 53 this past week....ya it can be a bitch....then you have to remove the bushings.
        I used a deepdish socket a couple of washers and nuts and a length of threaded rod..about four hours later...all done
        If you have a Benson auto parts in Wallyburg they have the spring liner...I did the wagonaire springs last year, they will also band the springs.
        Studebaker International sells the bands and liner.
        Nates right... anti-seize should be used

Bill
        Bill Foy
        1000 Islands, Ontario
        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Most any city will have a spring shop. Trucks and trailers are their main customers, but they can do anything spring related. They'll have bushings, liners, U-bolts, spring clips and so on.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I have been spoiled! I replaced the rear springs on my 52 Ragtop, in about an hour or so. The bolts came right out with no problems. It's also a "California car" high desert!

When you get new bolts, be sure to get some grade 8 ones. I think the originals were grade 5.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks all. Compared to getting the springs out I think the bushings will be considerably easier. I have a press which should help I think.
              I'll use LOTS of anti seize when it goes back together, should be good for another 58 years.

Comment

Working...
              X