Full-flow V8: owner's manual vs. actual crankcase capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-flow V8: owner's manual vs. actual crankcase capacity

I meant to post then months ago when it first crossed my mind, but I took the opportunity to do an oil change on Barney today, so the thought is fresh

The '63 Owner's Manual lists oil capacity as 5 quarts for both the 6 and V8 engine. After draining the oil and replacing the filter, I fill the crankcase with 5 carefully-measured quarts (yes, I measure... anal-retentive, I guess), crank the engine and shut it off, then check the dip stick... and it tells me I need to add another quart.

So, what's the deal? Did the Manual writer forget to update the documentation to reflect the extra quart needed for a full-flow engine? Is the manual just plain wrong? Or do I have a freakishly large oil sump hiding 'neath my pan?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
    After draining the oil and replacing the filter, I fill the crankcase with 5 carefully-measured quarts (yes, I measure... anal-retentive, I guess), crank the engine and shut it off, then check the dip stick... and it tells me I need to add another quart.
    How much time are you giving it between "shut it off, then check the dip stick"? With room temp oil, it may take quite a while to drain back completely. I'd take it for a drive to warm it up good, let it sit for a half hour or so and check it again to be sure.
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

I must've forgot to mention that when we put the motor back in~
      while I was under there I made a few modifications for ya...

StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Did ya take into account the capacity of the oil filter? Whenever I do an oil change I add about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart to the filter, as well as the other five quarts to the oil pan.
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Motors Auto Repair manual (1966) specifies 5 quarts oil and add 1 with filter change. I am sure my shop manual says the same thing but it is at the shop. I think I have always put in 6 quarts.

Comment

Yeah, see, that's what I figured: 5 quarts in the pan, 1 for the filter. It's just that the manual calls out a straight 5 quarts. Weird.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Oil Capacity

Just suffice it to say that all V-8's and small 6's from 1956 to early 1962, require 6 Qts. with a Filter and late '62-'64 Stude. 6's & V-8's all have a Filter, so also get 6 Qts.

Of course, if you use an undersized 1/2 Qt. Oil filter instead of the correct Full-sized Fram PH-11, or NAPA 1049 size, or have a dented Pan, it COULD be less.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                So, what's the deal? Did the Manual writer forget to update the documentation to reflect the extra quart needed for a full-flow engine? Or do I have a freakishly large oil sump hiding 'neath my pan?
                Look underneath your car....you may have a "freakishly" large oil leak!
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Back in the early years of the '63 Hawk that I purchased new, the Stude authorized service mechanic mentioned to me after some service work that he had adjusted the dipstick to correct a level error. I didn't question him further at the time, but recently, suspecting that 6 US qts. with a PH11 filter does not match the "full" line on the dipstick, I'm wondering if there was a service bulletin issued back then regarding dipstick tube height or length correction.
                  Last edited by WCP; 01-17-2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I wonder about this tech item too, maybe it was a holdover from the add-on oil filter days; add x quarts of oil plus more for the filter. I've found my '64 likes 6 quarts too.

Comment

Hmmm.... I had a GT Hawk that would take a case of oil..... about 50 miles to the quart. Never got bit by any 'skeeters' then either come to think of it! .
                      The R3 takes 7 qts.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Just shorten your dipstick tube a half an inch. Problem solved!
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                        X