Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hog Trough Styles - One Piece or multiple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hog Trough Styles - One Piece or multiple

Good evening everyone. I am looking at getting the toeque boxes changed on my recenty aquired Avanti (63 R2). I was thinking of going the CE multiple piece stainless route, Has anyone experience any lack of rigitity with the multiple piece route? I was hoping to not have to weld them as welding stainless overhead would probably not be something a lot of people could do. I think it said they could be bolted together.
    The other choice I was considering was the original style one piece ones. I am gathering there is not any wasy to install them without lifting the body up at least some from what I have read. I have found a source of galvanized ones some cheaper than the stainless ones, It would seem the cost would be added to the installation for lifting the body, which is not required with the multiple pieces.
    Anyone care comment as to which way makes the better job and which way is the most cost effectice in the end?
    I am looking for something which ends up giving the oem type stiffness to the body or close to it in the simplest way.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Neil Grant (proud new owner of 63R1406)

Originally posted by avantibngrant View Post
    Good evening everyone. I am looking at getting the toeque boxes changed on my recenty aquired Avanti (63 R2). I was thinking of going the CE multiple piece stainless route, Has anyone experience any lack of rigitity with the multiple piece route? I was hoping to not have to weld them as welding stainless overhead would probably not be something a lot of people could do. I think it said they could be bolted together.
    The other choice I was considering was the original style one piece ones. I am gathering there is not any wasy to install them without lifting the body up at least some from what I have read. I have found a source of galvanized ones some cheaper than the stainless ones, It would seem the cost would be added to the installation for lifting the body, which is not required with the multiple pieces.
    Anyone care comment as to which way makes the better job and which way is the most cost effectice in the end?
    I am looking for something which ends up giving the oem type stiffness to the body or close to it in the simplest way.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Neil Grant (proud new owner of 63R1406)
    This is from Dick Steinkamp on replacing torque boxes made by CE.

http://hogtrough.blogspot.com/
    Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Come up to Kingston sometime and I'll show you what is involved in installing the galvanized one piece units. Then you can compare that with Dick Steinkamp's description of the multi-piece unit installation and make up your mind from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Langer View Post
        This is from Dick Steinkamp on replacing torque boxes made by CE.

http://hogtrough.blogspot.com/
        I can see why the job is billed at 40 hours of labor (about 3K), but by doing it yourself, it's a thousand dollar job, not 4K or more. Keep those figures in mind when setting a value for a Avanti purchase. If the car has frame rust, add 1-4K to that figure.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
        X