Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R1 Fuel Pump / Power Steering Pump Clash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 Fuel Pump / Power Steering Pump Clash!

When I tried to install my new R1 fuel pump on my '64 convertible, I discovered that it has a bump on the top which hits the underside of the power steering pump, preventing me from installing it! It was suggested that I file down this same bump, but I am loathe to do this if there is some other way to solve the problem. Has anybody ever had this problem?

Hi,

Is your power steering pump mounted on an adjustable bracket? My R-1 Avanti's pump can be moved around some to accomodate its neighbors and tighten or loosen the belt.

Tom

Comment

Check to see if your P/S Pump is mounted correctly with the factory correct deep built-in wrench hex, spacing studs and washers.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It's mounted correctly, and I also checked to see that the fan belt was the correct one. According to Jon Myer, this is a problem that occurs with some cars and not with others; I was just hoping somebody had gone through it and come up with a solution that didn't involve defacing the fuel pump.

Comment

How much is in the way?

If the P/S really won't move any more, You can machine the mounting surface or try another pump.

I have heard of this but never seen it up close. Just be sure they do not touch when you are done.....

Comment

Well, I would guess I need about half an inch. If I file or machine either the top of the fuel pump or the bottom of the power steering pump, will I not weaken them or risk causing a leak? This is what I fear. Perhaps I should look for an original R1 fuel pump and rebuild it; apparently it did not have this damned bump on the top!

Comment

A half inch is too much to take off. I'd try another pump, grind on yours or rebuild the original. Kits are 60 and up depending where you shop.

Comment

Where did you purchase the pump? I would think that the seller would offer a refund on a pump that doesn't come close to fitting the application. No way would I be looking at removing a half inch from either accessory. I have trouble understanding the comment that it's a problem on some cars but not others. A half inch is a LOT of interference.

I'd look for another vendor if you must stay with the R-1 pump. Personally, I would note that block-off plates are cheap, and electric pumps work great. That's the route I took on my '64 Daytona.
                Jim Bradley
                Lake Monticello, VA
                '78 Avanti II
                sigpic

Comment

The pump came from Myer's. The whole idea of disfiguring a part just to make it fit is repugnant to me to begin with.

Comment

Select a slightly different length of belt that allows the p/s unit to move away from the fuel pump. You may have to install the belt on the p/s pump pulley before you mount the p/s pump on the engine. I've run into this problem and that is one way around it. The p/s pump will appear tilted in slightly but that is not a problem.

Comment

My vote is the wrong belt length too, something is amiss.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked and the belt is supposedly the correct no. and size (37 1/2 inches i.d.). It is certainly worth trying your suggestion of a larger belt before resorting to more extraordinary measures. Meanwhile, I plan to have a certified Studebaker mechanic (I'm not kidding either -- Cockrell-Owens Studebaker, Towson, Md.) check the situation out just in case I have missed something obvious. I appreciate everybody's ideas.

Comment

I just finally took a look at the R-1 crate engine I have & see what you mean. Mine still has the original Studebaker belt adjusted by our South Bend employees. The adjustment bolt on the pump is set about a third up from the bottom of the bracket & perhaps an eigth of an inch clearance to the fuel pump. Your problem should be handled with just a slightly longer belt unless you have a replacement fuel pump that is much larger than the original R-1 pump. I can take a picture of mine if you wish with my phone & have the wife attach it to an e-mail to you (she knows that stuff-not me!)
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I used the Carter Chrysler small block fuel pump with power steering on mine, and it clears fine.(If that is an help).
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I would be very grateful if you would send me a picture of an original R1 pump so that I can compare it to this newer version (which, I assume, is much alike). (I would also love to see a picture of that R1 engine!) My e-mail address is studejack@comcast.net. My car is an original factory 4-speed convertible, but a previous owner installed a Jet Thrust engine in place of the original 289; I am restoring it as an R1 since it is too late for "matching numbers." (Oh, and because for some reason my distress in not having the original, matching-numbers engine for the car seems to disappear from my mind when I am passing other cars on the highway.)

Comment

Working...
                              X