Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford 9" in 53 Coupe..emergency brake cables.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 9" in 53 Coupe..emergency brake cables.

Here's one that'll light some fires..

I have a Ford 9" rear under my '53 couple, and need the right length emergency brake cables. Fortunately, the bracket on the frame where the brake cable clips in and is held with a clip is the same on Ford and Studebaker, but the original cables (68-69 Torino), are too long and I was hoping someone might have done this swap and could tell me what cable might fit from another Ford product. I'm using the original emergency brake handle and mechanism under the car, and hoping to find another cable set that is about 8"-10" shorter than the set I have.

Thanks for your help....and don't dump on me cause I left the body unspoiled....just re-powered it something more fun.

The way I read this: You need a shorter 'center' section? From the handle to the middle of the car?

Studebaker cables are similar, and came in many lengths. I'd try a sedan or later Lark from the handle to the center of the car.

You'll have to measure what you have, compare other models and go from there.

Comment

Hey Studeguy.....I have no answer to your question but hope you will post the answer when you get the cable installed and working.
      Don't apologize for repowering your 53, I am doing the same and adding a 9", I believe there is enough room in Studeland for all choices.....as a matter of fact I think there should be a separate catagory for modified cars and trucks on the forum.....the questions bleed over anyway.
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Jim turner uses a man in indiana ( I have his card and address if you want to pursue this, PM me), who custom makes the cables for his rear disc kit for the Danas. If you were to go that route, they are well made, stainless steel, and can be configured to your measurements.

Comment

What about Lokars universal cable?
          I've been told this will work with the 9" i'm building.
          This from a builder of many 9", and custom street/race cars.
          fwiw

Comment

I don't really want a custom-made cable if Ford already has something that'll fit. The rear I put in the car is from a 69 Torino, with cables being
            91" in overall length with a 20" conduit as part of that measurement. I'm just looking to find a shorter cable (by about 5" overall, for a total of 86") from another Ford product that might do the job. Thought maybe someone here might know the overall length of Ford cables (boo....hiss, right???), to see if something from a Mustang or another Ford vehicle that might be a shorter length.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

The ends of the cable have a piece of lead shot with a hole in it that are crimped on. Take the old cable to a shop that works with cable and have them shorten it up for you.

Comment

I have an 8.8" Mustang in my Lark, forgot about connecting the e-brake cables. Driver's side OK, pass side too short (but just extend inner cable), but the two connected together at the curved bar would be the right length combined. I'll have to mount small brackets on the frame each side at the end of the outer jackets. Don't know if 9" and 8.8" cables interchange.

Comment

I used one from a 55 Commander Stude coupe, on the one, way back, that I put a 9" in.
                  I think what some are talking about is running the rigt side across and down the left side.
                  You can make brackets and use a lot of lengths. This is what I did on my 53 coupe.

Not very good pictures, Sorry.

Comment

FWIW red neck way of making cable shorter (or longer) cut the cable lay the parts side by side and put a cable clamp on to hold the two parts together.Be sure the splice is where it will not catch on anything.To make longer use a doner cable for one end.Cable clamps avalable at most hardware stores.For a somewhat cleaner look you can use a stay-con.this is a sleve that the cable goes into then is crimped tight its used for fence building and cable splicing.it may be a little hard to find and you have to have the tool to crimp it with.

I did not say it was purty--but it works

Comment

OK.....here's the solution I found.... my son, the Fairlane/Mustang collector suggested I use a set of ebrake cables for a 1968 Mustang (V-8). These cables are about 5" short of the need, but we dealt with this by extending the rod on the emergency brake mechanism that holds the "C"-shaped bracket the cable run through approximately 5" to move that bracket further back toward the rear axle.

On the opposite side of the frame, we used a Ford bracket that fits into one of the original Studebaker-punched holes in the frame to re-direct the cable 90 degrees. These stamped brackets are found on a lot of Ford products and have a hook that fits into the Studebaker frame very nicely.

I'll try to get a few photos of the installation and post them here if it will help anyone.

Oh....and the Mustang cables drop right into the original Studebaker brackets to anchor them, just like they were made for the car.

studeguy54
                      Last edited by studeguy54; 01-16-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I used Lokar cables with my non-Stude chassis. You need to cut them to length, but its an easy job.
                        '53 Commander
                        Art Morrison chassis
                        LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

OK, call me crazy, but I've been driving my 54 Coupe with a narrowed 9" for almost 30 years. I've never had an E brake on my car. I park and drive it with this in mind. I won't risk parking on hill or slope where the car is resting on the clutch either. It takes a few seconds to scope out a safe parking spot to accommodate. And, shocker, I've never come back to find my car has rolled into the street or into traffic or moved from where I left it. Call me double crazy, but I've never carried a spare or extra parts and still never been stranded by my Coupe. Reliable little bugger.
                          sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                            OK, call me crazy, but I've been driving my 54 Coupe with a narrowed 9" for almost 30 years. I've never had an E brake on my car. I park and drive it with this in mind. I won't risk parking on hill or slope where the car is resting on the clutch either. It takes a few seconds to scope out a safe parking spot to accommodate. And, shocker, I've never come back to find my car has rolled into the street or into traffic or moved from where I left it. Call me double crazy, but I've never carried a spare or extra parts and still never been stranded by my Coupe. Reliable little bugger.
                            I admit I seldom use mine, in any vehicle, but it's nice to have, especially in a manual trans vehicle.

What kind of suspension are you using in the rearend?

Comment

The rear suspension is stock. I used urethane bushings in the leaf springs to tighten things up. The rear is narrowed enough to use 265-50-15s on 10 inch wide rims without hitting the fenders or the body. The fender lips are rolled for a little extra clearance. I did that the old fashioned way... with a baseball bat between the tire and the fender while my son drove the car slowly forward and back. Worked like a charm. I still have room for a slightly wider tire, about another inch.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X