Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Measuring a Driveshaft???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring a Driveshaft???

I am in the midst of installing a Dana 44 from a Dana 27 in my 63 Lark along with a new powershift transmission from a flightomatic.

I've had some confusion on the length of the drive shaft for automatic drive. The parts book says 46 3/32 long. How do you measure this driveshaft? Where do you measure from, the entire length, end of the DS yoke to DS yoke, center of yoke to yoke or what? I've been told it is from weld to weld. What does an expert say?

I'd like to get to the bottom of this one.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

This will help.

http://www.arizonadrivelines.com/how...rive_shaft.htm

Comment

Joint center to joint center is what is listed in the parts book.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
        Joint center to joint center is what is listed in the parts book.
        The parts book is quoted as "Propeller shaft and joints assemblies include: Shaft and yokes. two cross and bearing units and one slip yoke, but are less bearing clips and R/A flange."

My 1963 convertible, Body style "L" calls for a Mechanics Equipment part number 1557803 Shaft and joints - w/AD - F2-F4-F6-J-L Dana 44 46 3/32"

My situation is that I have found a drive shaft from a guy north of my location that claims his drive shaft came from an Automatic Avanti. I don't have an Avanti parts book to check lengths. The drive shaft is a Spicer type which is not right, anyway Joint centre to Joint centre is really close to 46 9/32" (Just went out to the shop and measured it). My original equipment is 46 25/32" (from the parts book) and figure it will cost me more to shorten it than this one will cost me. This puts his driveshaft 3/16" too long for my ideal lenght, which I don't believe will make any difference to the operation of my drivetrain since the play on the transmission yoke is alot more than that. I really don't want to use the Spicer type but will if push come to shove I will use it. I would prefer keeping it to original with the mechanics equipment.

Any thougths on how this length of driveshaft will effect me would be appreicated.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Just put the car up on jackstands (with the jackstands under the rear end so the car suspension is compressed to ride height.
          Insert your driveshaft yoke in all the way and pull it out 3/4" to 1" (or to where the yoke was previously riding and leaving a mark on the yoke shaft where seal rode).
          Measure the u-joint cap center to center length.
          See if that other shaft is within a quarter inch.
          If it is... Use it.
          If it is too long, take it to any good driveshaft shop and ask them to shorten and balance it.
          Spicer driveline balancing equipment generally balances driveshafts at a higher RPM (3500 IIRC), which is a plus.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm planning on utilizing an auto driveshaft from my Avanti when I convert the J8 that I'm working on over to a model 44 R/A. Nothing wrong with the Spicer joints - in fact I prefer them. The Avanti driveshaft is also 2.75" in dia. in comparison with the smaller dia. one you currently have in your Daytona.

Comment

Working...
            X