Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Color Engine Compartment Pictures for 56 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Engine Compartment Pictures for 56 Power Hawk

Does anyone know of a good place to find color pictures of the engine and engine compartment for a 1956 Power Hawk? I am working on restoring my grandfathers's car and as I strip the paint I am finding that several items have been painted multiple times makeing it tough to determine what should be painted Torquise, black, red, and off white. I am also trying to figure out which labels go where. Any Pictoral help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Clint
    1956 Power Hawk
    1959 Corvette

Originally posted by cbabcock View Post
    Does anyone know of a good place to find color pictures of the engine and engine compartment for a 1956 Power Hawk? I am working on restoring my grandfathers's car and as I strip the paint I am finding that several items have been painted multiple times makeing it tough to determine what should be painted Torquise, black, red, and off white. I am also trying to figure out which labels go where. Any Pictorial help would be great.
    Thanks, Clint 1956 Power Hawk, 1959 Corvette
    WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

"If you don't know the answer, you'd darn better well know where to find it!"

So to "find

Comment

'56 Power Hawk Engine Compartment Colors

The 1956's only had a Air Cleaner Decal, a Oil Filter Decal (if equipped) and two Sweepstakes 259 Valve Cover Decals.
      You could install the tags for the Generator terminal post and the Radiator SP Antifreeze tag & wire.

The complete Engines, Bell Housings & Trans. Assemblies were Studebaker Turquoise Green, (available at Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com) everything except Oil Cap, Air Cleaner, Valve Covers and all Electrical components -Black.

Since all '56 Power Hawks with 2 tone paint had the body 2nd. Color only on the roof (equipped with the below the rear window moulding), the under hood, inner fenders and firewall would all be main body color.

The Paint Color label was glued under the glove box, also available on the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum, purchased by using the Car Serial on the forward driver's door post.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-04-2011, 02:56 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Folks,
        Thanks for the welcome and the great information and the welcome. I did not even know that the Studebaker National Museum had so much info. I will check it out.

To StudeRich's point the valve covers on my car were black on top of turquoise which is why I was confused.
        Thanks Again!
        Clint

Comment

While the engine in your grandfather's car may be the original, it is never safe to assume that with any component on a 55-year old car. The serial number should be on the top front of the block next to the oil filler tube. The original 259" s/n should begin with a "V". Get the s/n and go to our resource page here to confirm the year and date of the engine. IIRC, the rocker covers on my PH were black.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I believe the firewall color actually depends on whether the car was South Bend or Vernon production. I know that that's true for 56J's and I assume all two-tone 56 cars as well.

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
              I believe the firewall color actually depends on whether the car was South Bend or Vernon production. I know that that's true for 56J's and I assume all two-tone 56 cars as well.
              nate
              But since '56Js were two toned in a way completely DIFFERENT then a Power Hawk-- it wouldn't matter!!! What Dad (StudeRich) said is how it is. He oughtta know~ as the son of a Stude salesman in the mid '50s to mid '60s he's seen ALOT of Studebakers!!! Not to mention that HIS Power Hawk has only had 2 1/2 owners. My GrandFather sold it new, then bought it off the lot when the first owner traded in. Dad got it from my GrandFather's estate.
              It's been garaged since before I was born...
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks Folks!

Comment

I just had an idea for possibly a chapter fund raiser. How about making repro paint labels (the ones found, or were found under the glove box liner (cubby to those living in former English lands.....they'd call them colour labels) made to order showing the paint code for that particular year requested. Five bucks or so plus postage would handle it. Any opinions??
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                  X