Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Dave Thibault's electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Thibault's electronic ignition

Anybody have any feedback on the performance/installation of this electronic ignition? How does it compare to the Pertronix or other "drop-in" systems?

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

I have the setup on an R-2 engine it works fine, no problems, I don,t know what the setup costs because I bought it used but it is not as cheap as a pertronix setup which I have in my other two cars. Thibault uses the Chrysler system with brain box. It basically consists of a distributor and brain box, asociated wiring, resistor, coil and good instructions.For an economical setup I would recommend the Pertronix.
    Pretty straightforward install and about 3 times cheaper. In order to use the Pertronix you have to have a Delco window distributor.A least I am not aware of anyone making it for the Prestolite unit.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I have a Pertronix in a Delco 1110864 (55 President) and a 1110839 (spare). Neither are window distributors..

Bob Johnstone
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I have a T-bow Chrysler/Mallory distributer in my 259. Completely rebuilt distributer with new everything including vacuum advance. It is self-contained--no brain box. I weighed the cost of rebuilding a worn out Delco and adding the Pertronix, and decided the T-bow distributer was a better deal. I have been really happy with it.

jj

Comment

Remind me again who is a good supplier for Pertronix ignitions for Stude v-8's?
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Remind me again who is a good supplier for Pertronix ignitions for Stude v-8's?
            Phil Harris...Fairborn Studebaker...

http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't know that Dave T. is still selling the Chrysler/Prestolite hybrid distributors anymore... I think now he is concentrating on the new billet housing Mallory Unilite based distributors. I have no experience with them (my old Chrysler/Presto unit is working well) but they certainly look like they should work just as well if not better.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Dick
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

Anybody have any feedback on the performance/installation of this electronic ignition? How does it compare to the Pertronix or other "drop-in" systems?
                  I have the MoPar-type distributor in my '64 Wagonaire and I had a Pertronix in my ex-'64 Avanti. The T-Bow system seemed to have a stronger spark and the car started more easily. I didn't have any trouble with my Pertronix, but I have heard of a fair number of inopportune failures. The MoPar system also has the advantage of parts being readily available for it. The downside of the MoPar is you have a lot of extra wire and you have to mount the control box somewhere (authenticity problem) where the Pertronix is pretty much invisble.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:a lot of extra wire and you have to mount the control box somewhere
                    This problem is gone with T-bow's new distributor. I put his Mopar unit in my '63 ten years ago. Now that that engine is going in to my '53, I need to find someone who wants the Mopar so I can order the Mallory.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I installed The T-bow mopar distributor in my Avanti R2 last
                      year.It starts much faster,the sparkplugs burn much cleaner &
                      the timing stays set.

Lenny

Comment

Does anyone have the wiring instructions for the Mopar module? I have one on the shelf and want to try it. There's a black wire (coil neg, I think) and a green wire and a blue wire.

Comment

Comment

The Mallory LED Module has been around for a very long time. Early/mid 70's anyway.
                            It was one of the first two or three "electronic" conversions available. Then they made up a fully contained..Mallory..distributor...not unlike the Mallory-Studebaker distributer.

To answer the original question, comparison wise...while they work a little differently, they are a very soild and usable ignition.

Mike

Comment

I put one of Dave's Mallory Unilite distributers in my Power Hawk almost 5 years ago and have had no problems. I put a Pertronix kit in my Lark 8 years ago and have had no problems with it either.

Studebaker Fever
                              60 Lark
                              56 Power Hawk
                              Phil Hendrickson
                              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Working...
                              X