Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Ford wheels on '64 Studebaker

Hello,
    I'm aware that the Studebaker uses what is typically called the "Ford/Chrysler" bolt pattern. I have tested the Mopar "Cop Car" wheel on my '64 Daytona and it fits both front and back. These however have gotten very pricey (about $300 a set). I was considering the late 90's Crown Vic cop car wheels. The bolt pattern is correct, but I'm a bit skeptical about the center hole.

I was at Pick A Part today and found the 16" - late 90's Cop car Crown Vic wheels and tried them on a Chrysler (no Studebaker's to be found). While the bolts themselves line up the center hole seemed to be about 1/16" too small. So, I'm unsure if the Studebaker has enough "fudge" room to accept the Crown Vic wheels. Anyone ever try them on their Studebaker?

I've included a picture of the wheel (on a Crown Vic). These have a deeper dish then the more modern wheel Ford now uses on the latest Crown Vic. While my inquiry might seem odd, I'm just partial to the unusual factory steel wheels.

Thanks, Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wittsend; 12-30-2010, 08:35 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

I have used the Crown Vic wheels on my 54 Coupe with no problems at all. Just a note... use the larger lugs nuts from the Ford that have the "shoulder" on them. More support for the wheel. I get these rims at my local Pick N Pull for cheap. Depends when they're on sale. As little as $10 per rim.
    sals54

Comment

As a side note .. offset changed throughout the years on the crown vic, so be sure to
      check them against what you are looking for. Also, they came in 17" steel also.

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I'll be sure to double check the offset. Yes, the wheels are about $9.00 at a Pick A Part sale (hope to find some with decent tires).

Sals54, my brother lives in Orangevale. I hit ALL the Pick N Pulls when I'm in the area. I found a long sought after (4 years) dash for my Datsun 510 at the Mack Rd. yard.

Thanks, Tom
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Tom, I hear ya on the Pick N Pulls. When I go out to one of the yards, I get my hand stamped and drive the loop around town to hit all 4 of them for the one low price. It is certainly amazing what they end up with in those yards at times. 65 Tempest 2 dr HT, 64 Falcon 2 dr HT, 47 Hudson, 73 Cutlass, 73 Pontiac, just to name a few recent ones.
          sals54

Comment

Hey guys....going here myself soon. Are any of the late Ford or Chryslers 15 inch ? Will the Stude full caps fit ?

Comment

Are any of the late Ford or Chryslers 15 inch ?
              Define "late." Most of them have been 16" and 17" for quite a while now.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

I put '70 something Lincoln mags on my '57 Prez to bring it home from DRT. Straight ahead they were OK but the tires rubbed when you turned very far either direction. Dunno any of the specs but I'd think you'd want to be sure that WHATEVER wheels you get don't rub BEFORE you buy them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	flat tow wheels.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1666792

John

Comment

I try to stick with the stock wheels found on the Crown Vic regular sedans and wagons and avoid the Cop cars. I have sometimes found 7 inch rims on the cop cars. I don't like the way they fit either front or rear on the Stude. I've not had any trouble with the standard rims. Just keep a sharp eye.
                  sals54

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                    Hey guys....going here myself soon. Are any of the late Ford or Chryslers 15 inch ? Will the Stude full caps fit ?
                    I been trying to find wider 15" rims, I'm running the full wheel discs and the rim needs a groove for the grippers. Ranger wheels fit , but nothing to retain the the full cap.

Art

Comment

Art, the 15x7 M-body cop car wheels will work with wheel discs, the car that had the wheels that I have before I bought them was running wheel discs. They're darn near the perfect offset for a Studebaker as well.

nate
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                        Art, the 15x7 M-body cop car wheels will work with wheel discs, the car that had the wheels that I have before I bought them was running wheel discs. They're darn near the perfect offset for a Studebaker as well.
                        nate
                        Great news, thanks Nate! Dumb question: what's an M body, full-size Ford?

Comment

no, MoPar - think Diplomat, New Yorker, etc. the big square cars that were overgrown Aspen/Volares

nate
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                            no, MoPar - think Diplomat, New Yorker, etc. the big square cars that were overgrown Aspen/Volares

nate
                            Got it, popular cop and taxis here a while back.
                            Side note, just put in a drive over lift in my home garage yesterday, I feel like I died and gone to heaven! Ready to start pulling the Lark apart as per the advice on"Improving Lark Handling" thread.

Comment

'63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                              X