Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

'48 Champion Starlight back window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '48 Champion Starlight back window

I just purchased a 1948 Champion Starlight Coupe. The rubber around the back windows has rather large cracks in it, letting water enter the car. What can be done to the rubber to seal it from the weather?
    73, Jim

you need to replace the seals. For a temporary fix you can use Black weather stripping chalking its messy but works in a pinch. Doesn't look real good but it will stop the water.
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Thanks, Anne.
      Are the seals available? It looks like quite a job to replace them.

Comment

Seals are available, No. 800800 from Studebaker International, you gotta specify if your car has stainless trim around the windows.

Comment

Before anything is done, get the service manual for your car, available from several vendors.

Terry

Comment

Thank you. The service manual and parts catalog came with the car. I also have the Motor Auto Repair Manual that cover this car.
            Boy, parts have become very expensive in the last 25 years. It has been that long since I have done any serious repair work.
            Thanks again, all help is appreciated.

Comment

I don't believe any of that body style Starlights had molding around the windows; just the vertical dividers. I also don't know if there is a source for the clips to retain the stainless. I made them when I did my '51 but, does anyone know of a generic clip that will serve the function?
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by 9echo View Post
                Thank you. The service manual and parts catalog came with the car. I also have the Motor Auto Repair Manual that cover this car.
                Boy, parts have become very expensive in the last 25 years. It has been that long since I have done any serious repair work.
                Thanks again, all help is appreciated.
                Yes, and no. That four-piece gasket set does happen to be the most expensive Studebaker window gasket available!
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Bob Palma or some others of the KNOWLEDGEABLE variety will probably chime in here, but as I recall, a (very) few EARLY '47 Commander 5-passenger coupes had the stainless trim, show in some early ads. I think finding one of those would be akin to finding a virgin in Mae West's boudoir.

And, my antique brain also seems to recall, it was not actually CALLED a Starlight until 1949.

John
                  Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 12-24-2010, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                    Bob Palma or some others of the KNOWLEDGEABLE variety will probably chime in here, but as I recall, a (very) few EARLY '47 Commander 5-passenger coupes had the stainless trim, show in some early ads. I think finding one of those would be akin to finding a virgin in Mae West's boudoir.

And, my antique brain also seems to recall, it was not actually CALLED a Starlight until 1949.

John
                    The first 500 '47 Champion 5 passenger coupes had stainless reveal moulding around the rear windows.

I helped a friend install the reveal moulding front and back on a '50 sedan a while back. I wouldn't want to do it on a Starlight.
                    Last edited by mbstude; 12-24-2010, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I had the same feeling when I looked at the entire window. With the old rubber being so hard I am afraid of breaking the glass when trying to remove it. Anne's suggestion of black caulking seems like a good alternative.
                      Merry Christmas to all.
                      73, Jim

Comment

If you decide to take the rubber out cut the rubber from the inside. Worked good for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                          The first 500 '47 Champion 5 passenger coupes had stainless reveal moulding around the rear windows...
                          I don't doubt that you are correct but there was at least ONE Commander

Click image for larger version

Name:	47BROC.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1666716

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                            I don't doubt that you are correct but there was at least ONE Commander

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6175[/ATTACH]

John
                            Could've been! Maybe it was the first 500 cars, both models.

Comment

Many moons ago.. I helped my friend Mike install a rear window in a 51 2dr sedan with reveal. It took all day long. Both of us professed to be christians but nearly lost all our religion before it was over. It never did go in right.

Afew weeks later, my son and I replaced the rubber in his 51 Starlight. After dreading it for several weeks, we finally got up enough nerve to tackle it. IT WAS A BREEZE!!! Took us about 30 minutes! But it had no reveal. NT

P.S. If you decide to use caulking, try black urethane
                              Last edited by rockinhawk; 12-26-2010, 06:42 AM.
                              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X