Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Hawk Generator Puzzlement

My son and I have been restoring a Silver Hawk. I cleaned the generator
    commutator and checked the wiring. With engine running the ampmeter showed no
    charging. I then momentarily flashed the field and Battery , and the ampmeter
    went almost all the way to to full charge. Measured 13.6 volts output. GOOD---But___ when
    I restart there is again no output. Changed the Voltage regulator thinking it was
    leaking off the residual charge.
    Still same problem. Any ideas ? besides get the generator rebuilt?
    ....Dick
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Did you reflash the new voltage regulator?

Comment

are you measuring the voltage at the stud on the generator, or at the battery? If at the battery, what do you read at the generator?

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Delco Remy 12 volt systems get polarized by touching the Batt. Terminal of the Regulator to the Terminal marked Armature or "Gen" you did it as a Autolite, that will not work.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Voltage measured at battery , Delco reflash instructions followed, and reflashed after new VR.
          We are drowning in rain and since the car is 35 miles over Santa Ynez mountain pass, with likely landslides,
          I'll wait until monsoon ends and then recheck/repost based on your suggestions
          THanks
          ...Dick
          The 1950 Champion Starlight
          Santa Barbara
          CA

Comment

Mine was acting wierd, so I got the mirror out, and looked in the back of the generator, and saw that one of the brushes was not making good contact, and that had gotten the brush holder hot, and messed it up. A local alternator shop found a scrapped generator with that brush and holder , and I was able to fix it. Noticed that SI has generator rebuild kits that replace the whole assy. as well as bearings.

Comment

If voltage at gen stud is high when you rev engine but at battery is still low the problem is somewhere in the regulator. Or you could try full fielding it to eliminate probs in the gen. If voltage is low when you full field the gen then the gen is the issue and it's probably time to pull it apart and check brushes (and bushings, while you're at it.)

good luck

nate
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
              X