Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

62' Lark Temp Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62' Lark Temp Gauge

I just repaired my alternator but now the temp gauge on my dash reads pegged when the car is off. When I start the car the needle moves all the way to cool but doesn't move back up to read the actual temp. Should I replace my thermostat? Could it be my sending unit?
    Last edited by StudebakerRich; 12-17-2010, 07:48 AM.

Originally posted by StudebakerRich View Post
    I just repaired my alternator but now the temp gauge on my dash reads pegged when the car is off. When I start the car the needle moves all the way to cool but doesn't move back up to read the actual temp. Should I replace my thermostat? Could it be my sending unit?
    if the temp gauge pegs when OFF it sounds like something bad has happened in the wiring harness. orange wire is the one between the gauge and sender. is it possible that someone spliced into that to excite your alternator? that would give the behavior that you describe. you'd need another fault as well to provide the 12V for the gauge. Unless you mean that it pegs when you turn the key to "on" and then it goes back to cold when you start the engine in which case using the orange wire as the exciter makes perfect sense.

nate
    Last edited by N8N; 12-17-2010, 09:23 AM.
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

N8N That's very possible. There was a stray orange wire causing my electrical issues with my alternator. I was told to hook that into the regulator outlet from my alternator since there was no regulator that is wired to the starter. So one, where does that orange wire go? Two, why did hooking it in to my alternator fix my car, and what will fix it if I don't use that orange wire...I'm confused.

Comment

if the orange wire is in the factory harness, it should have been run from the sender terminal on the gauge direct to the temp sending unit on the back of the driver's side head. The exciter wire for the alternator is not a factory piece and should be connected to switched 12V through either a diode or a warning light bulb per messages in the other thread.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
        X