Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

64 Cruiser steering column question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Cruiser steering column question?

My daughter came home this evening and said her shifter was stiff. She had a hard time getting the lock out to move. I went out with a can of penetrating oil. I confirmed the stiffness and that it needed attention now. I pulled the shifter out of the auto trans column. After spraying the shift tube through the hole I couldn't get the shifter back in . I can move the inner tube up and down freely with a screw driver and it springs back. Is there a trick to keep the tube centered so I can reinstall the shifter arm? Or do I have to pull the steering wheel and go that route? Its been a long time since I had one apart.

Thanks,
    Gordon

I had that problem. The shift shaft is spring loaded therefore the shifter will not go back in place. What I did is I removed the neutral safety switch below first, then stuck a thin rod in the shifter hole above and pushed the rod down to line up the socket the shifter goes in. I then clamped something on the little arm that operates the neutral safety switch to hold the rod in place while I pulled out the thin rod from the shifter hole and reinstalled the shifter. Hope my explanation is clear enough.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks Frank,
      I'll give that a try tonight after work. Sounds straight forward to me.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
      X