Pilot bushing problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot bushing problem

My brother is putting an S10 T-5 5 speed in his V-8 truck and after getting the old bushing out and cleaning the crank hole he tried to drive the new bushing in place. He was only able to get the new bushing in part of the way before stopping for fear of deforming the bushing. I was not there when the attempt was made so I don't know the exact details. I do know that he cleaned the hole with brake cleaner and wiped it with a paper towel to be sure there were no debris in the hole.
    What are we missing?
    The old bushing was hard to remove and he had to score it with a hacksaw blade before the puller would remove it. The grease trick did not work.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

If it is the correct bushing, throw it in the freezer overnight and quickly try again. If the fit is tighter than that, it's either the wrong bushing or poorly machined. Be sure the ID is correct also.

Bob

Comment

I suggested to him that he should have tried the freezer. I hope we can get it out without damage. This project is taking way too long....don't they all.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

52, Did he mike both the OD of the bushing and the ID of the hole in the crank? It should be .939" on the bushing and .9375" on the hole. I have seen slightly under sized holes and over sized too. Mike it and let me know, I can always turn one under a little but I need to know the size of the hole.

Comment

Because of possible damage he's done "trying" to install the curent bushing..."TOSS" it and spend the monsterous 3 or 4 bucks for a new one...!

Then...do what Allan said.

Mike

Comment

3 or 4 bucks? Do you know of an off the shelf replacement for these? Will a caliper be accurate enough or do we need an inside mike?
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              3 or 4 bucks? Do you know of an off the shelf replacement for these? Will a caliper be accurate enough or do we need an inside mike?
              A decent caliper is good enough. Make sure the hole is clean and free of burrs. If necessary, you can clean it up with a brake hone, but don't overdo. You should be able to chill it and tap it in. If you have to *bang* it, something's wrong.

Measure twice, cut once.

Comment

From one who has done this. When you put the bushing in the freezer, wrap in it several layers of paper towel. When you take it out, don't touch it with skin, very carefully put it into the hole and push fast. If it touches the steel and expands it won't go in.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  I got one from NAPA, it was a Dorman bushing. I don't have the number anymore though. It was a bit more than 3-4 bucks, maybe 6 or 7
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                    I got one from NAPA, it was a Dorman bushing. I don't have the number anymore though. It was a bit more than 3-4 bucks, maybe 6 or 7
                    I would really like to know which Dorman bushing you used. I just spent about half an hour comparing bushings on the Dorman site and I could not find one with the right combination of inside and outside dimensions. Do they have more sizes in a catalog somewhere? We have to fit a Chevy size input shaft to the Studebaker V-8 crankshaft.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sorry, after re-reding your post I see you are using an S10 trans. Mine is a T90, so even if I still had the box or the number , it probably would not fit.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Just an update for inquiring minds. Joe put the new bushing that Alan sent and the installation tool in the freezer for several hours and then we gave it a try. The bushing started easily and then just a few taps with a hammer pushed it the rest of the way in. Success!
                        Now on to aligning the new bell housing and getting it back in the truck with the T-5.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Progress! Would love to see that back on the road.

Comment

Working...
                          X