Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Dana 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44

on craigslist bay area someone has a dana44 for sale...it is not a posi unit but it is the right width ..can this be made posi? would i be better served by getting a mustang or chevy diff.?

Are you using it in a original or modified? I would base my answer on that.

Comment

Originally posted by stan zoerner View Post
      ...it is not a posi unit but it is the right width ..can this be made posi?
      I have a '63 Champ with a non-twin traction Dana 44 rear end which I disassembled and inserted the twin traction differential from a '64 Cruiser. It was a direct fit into the existing Champ's differential housing.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

on craigslist bay area someone has a dana44 for sale...it is not a posi unit but it is the right width ..can this be made posi? would i be better served by getting a mustang or chevy diff.?
        Yup, it sure can. If you find an old posi unit, labor and parts (seals, bearing etc.) probably about $300-400 including labor. New Auburn posi with original gear ratio - $600 including labor. $750 with Auburn posi and gear ratio change. Those are based on costs of upgrading my 83 Avanti Dana 44 last spring.

One last note: remember that Dana has two carriers based on axle ratio.

Only you can decide but my guess that unless you go to a Ford 9" the 44 will do fine so it depends on what you have available. The 44 seems to handle my 350+ HP just fine.

Bob

Comment

I am planing a mild but dependable 350/700r4. Still i would prefer a posi r/dif..And one other question...{just one???} i am having the Front susp. redone with all new bushings and all the whatnot's, I am thinking that i should invest in new frt. springs of the v8 variety..Any tips/ I know to also plan a Turner disk brake kit...It looks pretty straight forward installation wise and I know I may at some point want to stop{or at least slow down}lol''''

Comment

Stan I have both in the Bay area...Bob
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I am planing a mild but dependable 350/700r4. Still i would prefer a posi r/dif..And one other question...{just one???} i am having the Front susp. redone with all new bushings and all the whatnot's, I am thinking that i should invest in new frt. springs of the v8 variety..Any tips/ I know to also plan a Turner disk brake kit...It looks pretty straight forward installation wise and I know I may at some point want to stop{or at least slow down}lol''''
              Stan

The 54 in my signature is running the original 6 cylinder front coils with a 350 TPI SBC w/700R4. My guess is the original engine/tranny is heavier that than the 350 setup. It's running an 8.75 Chevy Caprice posi but I had to narrow it 3"/side. Dana 44 from Bob P should be what you want but I go through any used one to be sure.

Bob
              Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-14-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Good to hear from all...This is one of the reasons i like this club better than sliced bread...I will call you tomorrow Mr.P...And sweet ol Bob, Please hang in there and non illigetimi carbarundum...Latin for, don't let anyone bring ya down...lol

Comment

Good to hear from all...This is one of the reasons i like this club better than sliced bread...I will call you tomorrow Mr.P...And sweet ol Bob, Please hang in there and non illigetimi carbarundum...Latin for, don't let anyone bring ya down...lol
                  Stan

Those B@$&@rds been grindin' on me for 68 years and I'm still 6'3". This SOB don't wear down easily.

Good luck with your project, That combo will make a great ride, and good for you on upgrading the brakes immediately.

Bob

Comment

2 wheel dr. S-10 works good and is easy. Disc brakes are on some also.

Comment

Working...
                    X