Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

59 Lark VI , 3 speed, OD - rear end ratio questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Lark VI , 3 speed, OD - rear end ratio questions

I was going to rebuild the rear end in my Lark; a Dana 27 with 4.10 gears. I found a 3.73 Twin Traction rear end out of a '60 Lark at the Hudson, WI swap meet at a fair price so I popped on it, cleaned it up, resealed it and installed it. The problem is, the car is in hibernation until spring and I am wondering how the car will perform with the different gearing?? I know it should be poochier on the low end but will mileage & top end improve? I suspect the rear end came from a Lark VIII, not a VI. Does anyone have a 6 cyl OD car with similar gearing and how do you like it? Did some 6 cyl OD Larks have different ratios or were all equipped with 4.10's from the factory?

Yes, true, "I know it should be poochier on the low end."
    No," but will mileage & top end improve?" You'll be spending more time in the lower gears to accelerate the same weight. If you do a lot of flat road highway cruising, you might see one or two MPG improvement. Top end is horsepower limited. You'll probably now be faster in direct third than in overdrive.
    Maybe, there is no way to make a string longer by cutting off one end and tying it on the other end.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

My 60 Lark VI with 4.10 rear axle would do 80 in 3rd or 3rd OD, didn't matter. It might have gone beyond that in OD, but it would have taken all week.

Comment

When we got our '60 Lark, six cylinder/OD convertible, it had a 3.08 rear end. How it got there, I have no idea. The car had a pretty rough history. Basically, the car had very poor performance. It would slow down at a freeway overpass! By accident I found out that SASCO had complete rear housings at a very reasonable price. I ended up getting a 4.27 (or about that ratio if I remember correctly) and the difference was very significant.
        Perry
        \'50 Business Champ,
        \'50 Starlight Champ,
        \'60 Lark Convertible,
        \'63 GT R1,
        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Well I guess I will just have to test it out when spring comes. I don't need Twin Traction as the car will never see snow. It is really hilly around here so the 4.10 might not be a bad thing to have. I saved the old rear end in case I am not satisfied with the 3.73. I would have to rebuild it as the pinion bearing is totally kaput. Switching out was a lot easier, plus now I will have larger rear brakes.

Comment

Basically, the car had very poor performance. It would slow down at a freeway overpass!
            It is really hilly around here
            Yes, to a high geared Champion six, every rise in the road is Mt. Everest and that makes WI seem hilly, but the highest point in Wisconsin is Mt. Timms, 1952 feet high. Those of us farther west wouldn't consider that hilly. ;>)

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Paul, I had a 60 Lark 6cyl. with overdrive parts car,and it had a 3:73 T.T. model 27 rear.I wo'nt etch this in stone,but I think that was a option then.
              Originally posted by Tahiti Coral View Post
              I was going to rebuild the rear end in my Lark; a Dana 27 with 4.10 gears. I found a 3.73 Twin Traction rear end out of a '60 Lark at the Hudson, WI swap meet at a fair price so I popped on it, cleaned it up, resealed it and installed it. The problem is, the car is in hibernation until spring and I am wondering how the car will perform with the different gearing?? I know it should be poochier on the low end but will mileage & top end improve? I suspect the rear end came from a Lark VIII, not a VI. Does anyone have a 6 cyl OD car with similar gearing and how do you like it? Did some 6 cyl OD Larks have different ratios or were all equipped with 4.10's from the factory?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                Yes, to a high geared Champion six, every rise in the road is Mt. Everest and that makes WI seem hilly, but the highest point in Wisconsin is Mt. Timms, 1952 feet high. Those of us farther west wouldn't consider that hilly. ;>)

jack vines
                I did say hilly, not mountainous.

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                  Paul, I had a 60 Lark 6cyl. with overdrive parts car,and it had a 3:73 T.T. model 27 rear.I wo'nt etch this in stone,but I think that was a option then.
                  We'll see how that goes in spring. 3.73 still seems pretty low-geared in my book. Btw, did you get my check, Joe?

Comment

3.73 still seems pretty low-geared in my book.
                    FWIW, 3.73 is the gear most Avanti have. It is pretty low on the highway in a direct top gear. However, when you drop your Champion T96 into overdrive, it will be at 2.61 and you better be on flat ground. One way to live with such a high gear and low power is to wire up a hand momentary-on pushbutton in parallel with the full-throttle downshift switch. There will be many times when you want to drop back into direct without giving it full throttle. I was using a floor shift and added a Hurst handle with a pushbutton built in. If you have the column shift, you could use zip ties to hold one onto the shift lever.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X