X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

2.20 low or 2.54, Tom?

Any work to get it rolling from a stop?

It's not a Stude, but I have an 89 Camaro Z-28 with a 5-speed and a 3.08 rear end. I suppose this ratio was chosen to improve compliance with the Corporate Average Fueling Economy standards, though its contributions have got to be marginal at best. Starting from a stop on a steep hill can be a challenge. Can't remember what the first gear ratio is, but can check.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

It's not a Stude, but I have an 89 Camaro Z-28 with a 5-speed and a 3.08 rear end.
      According to that thread Ernie provided, that T5 would have either a 4.03 first or a 3.76 first. Either (IMHO) would be low enough for a 3.08 rear. Even with the 3.76, you have an overall 11.6 to 1 overall first gear ratio. For me, the 3.07 with either the 2.20 low or the 2.54 low in a T10 would be a hard sell. With the 2.54's you have an overall ratio of 7.8 to 1. Everybody is different, however, (that's why they make different cars and different gear ratios ). For me, my 3.54's are marginal with my 2.20 low (7.8 to 1 overall). It's work to get it rolling from a stop in a hurry and kind of tough on the clutch. Normal driving is fine (but who wants to drive normally? ) I'm switching to 4.27's that will give me a 9.4 to 1 overall 1st gear ratio. Still not as good a "hole shot" as the T5 but better gear spreads. If your sole goal is lower highway RPM's the 3.07's would work fine for that goal...wouldn't work for my "need for speed". My 4.27's will (hopefully) satisfy that, but wouldn't work at all for your goal. They are all compromises. Just depends on what your "hot buttons" are.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

The T5 came with a very wide array of gear ratios. Those two particular ratios are found in the NWC S10 units. V8 Camaro T5 typically have 2.95 1st gear while Mustang V8 T5 have 3.35 1st gear. Both Camaro/Mustang do reasonably well in front of 3.00-3.25 rear ends using smallish engines that are probably on par with the Stude V8 in terms of low-end torque in similar weight cars...

If anyone is interested, I can provide ratios for any T5...

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
        -------------------
        Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Gear vendors makes an overdrive for t 10's might be easy install

Comment

Working...
          X