Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

trunk springs...how to install ?...lid won't close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trunk springs...how to install ?...lid won't close

How do you install trunk springs. I removed the old ones and then reinstalled them by putting a chain on them and pulling them a bit longer with my riding mower. Is there a special tool ? How do I know if I need new ones ? How do you measure the strength of the old before buying new. My trunk lid on a '47 will not go down when the springs are attached unless I pry the scissor action hinges on both sides. Then the trunk lid still lacks a little over an inch from closing in the rear. With the springs off it lacks the same distance but I have no problem with the scissor hinges. I have lubed everything.....Brad

Do I understand that you STRETCHED the springs so they'd fit??? If that's the case - they're toast. These hinges have a habit of getting worn pivot pins that cause the grief you speak of.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If you spring the spring to one side and put a nichel in the opening then spring then spring the other way and install a coin in the opening continue for the length of the spring it should install fine. Then just take out the coins and you are done.

Comment

No, just enough to get them installed. Worn pivot pins makes sense. Studebaker special tool ?? ....Brad
        quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Do I understand that you STRETCHED the springs so they'd fit??? If that's the case - they're toast. These hinges have a habit of getting worn pivot pins that cause the grief you speak of.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
        X