Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Rewiring my '52 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewiring my '52 question

I'm in the process of rewiring my 52 Commander and I noticed a small braided wire hanging near the + post of the battery attached to the front of the car. Is this supposed to be attached to the + post or to somewhere else? Is there any real advantage to having multiple grounds? Also, in rewiring the headlights, the connector is labelled Drive and Pass and Ground. Is the Drive for "Brights"? The original wires have lost all their color.
    Thanks.
    Terry

1952 Commander Starlight

Grounds? Did someone say grounds? Ask Dave Lester about grounds, (sorry Dave, couldn't resist) <G>
    On a 6 volt, pos. ground, you can never have enough grounds! Also, be sure to make a new ground wire on the engine, right side to the block. Somebody, (I think on this forum) mentioned to also run the ground wire from the battery to the starter bolt, less resistance (instead of the water pump manifold bolt. Never use an exhaust manifold bolt for a ground.
    I have a 289 with a flight o matic in my 52, and it's 6 volt pos. ground. cranks just fine.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

The majority of electrical problems are caused by poor ground. If you have only one, and there is any problem with it, everything suffers. Multiple grounds never hurt. Keep them clean and tight.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Terry, yes the "PASS" are the bright lights. You may already know that the contacts in the lamp connector can be removed and the new wire soldered in place, just did mine...

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr
        Warner Robins, GA 31088
        478-953-3077

Comment

Working...
        X