Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Items needed to rebuild 289 to R1 specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62stude
    replied
    Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
    You could start with Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. He can probably supply you with most of what you need. I know he has reproduced the oil pan with the R windage, aluminum cam gear, pistons, etc.

Ted
    Good to Know, Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• 62stude
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    You will need some hard to find items, but the hardest to find would be the Oil Pan and windage trays inside the pan to prevent splash and sloshing at high RPM, plus the excellent SAE award winning PCV Crankcase Ventilation design on the Pan.
    You may be able to have a fabrication shop make this from a local SDC Chapter Member's sample or the blueprint from the Studebaker National Museum.

Chrome Valve Covers, acorn nuts, and washers.
    Chrome Oil Caps
    Chrome upper & lower dipstick tubes
    Chrome Dipstick
    AFB Carter 4 Barrel Intake Manifold
    AFB Carter 4 Barrel Carburetor
    Chrome R1 Air Cleaner
    Carter "Super Pump" Fuel Pump
    (cool) fuel return line to tank system 1/4 inch.
    Upgrade Fuel Line to 3/8 inch
    140 MPH Speedometer
    Red Line Tach.
    Dual Point Prestolite Distributor -(many other better options here!)
    H.D. Aluminum Cam Gear (available new)
    24 Degree Timing mark Timing Gear Cover
    R1/R2 Camshaft
    H.D. Vibration Dampener, Crank pulley
    Avanti flat top 10.25 or shallow dish 9.25 Pistons
    H.D. Tri-Metal Rod Bearings
    H.D. Tri-Metal Intermediate Main Bearings (3 pair)
    high output R Series Fuel Pump Eccentric for Camshaft -no longer available
    H.D. Stainless Steel Stellite tipped Intake & Exhaust Valves
    H.D. Avanti Valve Springs
    '63-'64 Lark/Hawk Cylinder Heads casting number 1557570
    Chrome Lifter Chamber Cover (Optional)
    Viscous Drive Fan Clutch
    Viscous Drive Fan
    H.D. Water Pump
    3 Row H.D. Radiator
    High Stall Torque Converter
    H.D. oil cooled Flight-O-Matic Trans. or Power Shift (floor shift) Auto. Trans.
    Model 44 Rear Axle
    Larger Diameter Driveshaft
    Fender & Grille R1 badges
    Seat Belts and good brakes!
    I'm a sponge!

Leave a comment:

• 62stude
    replied
    Originally posted by whacker View Post
    Last I heard, SASCO had a few first gear start valve bodies. Maybe if you give SI a call, you can see if there are any left.
    Thank's I'll do that, ..

Leave a comment:

• Chicken Hawk
    replied
    You could start with Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. He can probably supply you with most of what you need. I know he has reproduced the oil pan with the R windage, aluminum cam gear, pistons, etc.

Ted

Originally posted by 62stude View Post
    Hello All.
    Need your help
    I want to rebuild a full flow 289 to R1 specs, as I'm not a mechanic of sorts, so any "list" of what items/parts that are required for the build would be appreciated( and where to get them!).
    Also, my Lark has a 259 w/ automatic in it, from a light it leaves in 2nd gear, a one time someone said for it to leave in 1st. I need to install a controller or Throttle body(?), from a car that came with a 6cyl
    Any help with this would be wonderful...

Leave a comment:

• Jim B PEI
    replied
    Originally posted by 62stude View Post
    Hello All.
    Need your help
    I want to rebuild a full flow 289 to R1 specs, as I'm not a mechanic of sorts, so any "list" of what items/parts that are required for the build would be appreciated( and where to get them!).
    Also, my Lark has a 259 w/ automatic in it, from a light it leaves in 2nd gear, a one time someone said for it to leave in 1st. I need to install a controller or Throttle body(?), from a car that came with a 6cyl
    I take it that you have two separate questions, and two separate cars: 289 to R1, and also, 259 automatic to get 1st gear start. A 289 R1 with a six automatic w/1st gear start is not a good idea <g> at least for long <ggg>

As they said, check R1 as well as 1st gear start valve bodies for V8s in the search function. Studerich has a good list there for a R1 as Studebaker built them. Whatever you do, don't use a 6 automatic innards with a warmed over V8. Different transmission with different bands, and what you want is the 1st gear start valve as used in V8 powered trucks with the V8 grade automatic. Studebaker for both automatics and manuals with overdrive used lighter duty and heavier duty transmissions--manuals were T96 with sixes, a T86 for 259/basic 289, and the Packard 352/supercharged 289 used a T85 in the 50s, and a HD 4 speed in the 60s. I "think" that T86 were used with 289 4bbl, but I also understand there were a lot of problems with that transmission with only 'that much' power, let alone an R1. As far as automatics, the six automatic needed first gear start--drove the 57 Champion 185 today--but the V8s generally didn't. The gear ratios are such that 1st isn't there for long anyway, and you won't improve your takeoff that much. BTDT with a 60 Hawk, and the D-L-D-L-D toggle to get 1-2-3 each for a reasonable time, but other than the amusement factor, it wasn't useful for every day. Besides, if it is adjusted properly, you should get 1st gear from stop with a Flightomatic if you want it, when you floor it. If Low gear was a bit higher in a Flightomatic it would make more sense to have a first gear start all the time, but it isn't so it doesn't. Now, in a friend's 55 259 Commander, the Detroit Gear automatic has the 1955-only 1st gear start and the ratios seem better and it makes more sense to have 1st gear all the time. A floor shift (only) Powershift would be a good start, but they are harder to find, and if you have a column shift car now....
    Last edited by Jim B PEI; 12-02-2010, 04:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    You will need some hard to find items, but the hardest to find would be the Oil Pan and windage trays inside the pan to prevent splash and sloshing at high RPM, plus the excellent SAE award winning PCV Crankcase Ventilation design on the Pan.
    You may be able to have a fabrication shop make this from a local SDC Chapter Member's sample or the blueprint from the Studebaker National Museum.

Chrome Valve Covers, acorn nuts, and washers.
    Chrome Oil Caps
    Chrome upper & lower dipstick tubes
    Chrome Dipstick
    AFB Carter 4 Barrel Intake Manifold
    AFB Carter 4 Barrel Carburetor
    Chrome R1 Air Cleaner
    Carter "Super Pump" Fuel Pump
    (cool) fuel return line to tank system 1/4 inch.
    Upgrade Fuel Line to 3/8 inch
    140 MPH Speedometer
    Red Line Tach.
    Dual Point Prestolite Distributor -(many other better options here!)
    H.D. Aluminum Cam Gear (available new)
    24 Degree Timing mark Timing Gear Cover
    R1/R2 Camshaft
    H.D. Vibration Dampener, Crank pulley
    Avanti flat top 10.25 or shallow dish 9.25 Pistons
    H.D. Tri-Metal Rod Bearings
    H.D. Tri-Metal Intermediate Main Bearings (3 pair)
    high output R Series Fuel Pump Eccentric for Camshaft -no longer available
    H.D. Stainless Steel Stellite tipped Intake & Exhaust Valves
    H.D. Avanti Valve Springs
    '63-'64 Lark/Hawk Cylinder Heads casting number 1557570
    Chrome Lifter Chamber Cover (Optional)
    Viscous Drive Fan Clutch
    Viscous Drive Fan
    H.D. Water Pump
    3 Row H.D. Radiator
    High Stall Torque Converter
    H.D. oil cooled Flight-O-Matic Trans. or Power Shift (floor shift) Auto. Trans.
    Model 44 Rear Axle
    Larger Diameter Driveshaft
    Fender & Grille R1 badges
    Seat Belts and good brakes!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jlmccuan
    replied
    I was just re-reading a back issue of Avanti newsletters that all the info including changes to oil return galleys. Late 60's early 70's. I'll look back and get the issue if you like.

Leave a comment:

• whacker
    replied
    Last I heard, SASCO had a few first gear start valve bodies. Maybe if you give SI a call, you can see if there are any left.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Hi, Freddy,

Welcome and best of luck with your build.

The "search" function will bring up dozens of previous threads about first gear start valve bodies and R1 engine specifications.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• 62stude
    started a topic Items needed to rebuild 289 to R1 specs

Items needed to rebuild 289 to R1 specs

Hello All.
    Need your help
Working...
X